The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By JonBoy
I'll probably need a new iPhone soon. My old '4' is getting to be like walking through treacle.

Problem is that in my aircraft I have a 3.5mm jack plug socket wired into the intercom. I use a cable with a 3.5mm plug on each end to plug the iPhone into the intercom. Great for making calls - talk into the handset but listen through the headsets - works great. And for listening to music too of course.

I've heard though that the new iPhones don't have the headphone socket on them anymore. That will c@ck up my system! Does anyone know of a method I can get the audio output from the new iPhones into my intercom via my 3.5mm jack plug socket?
Cheers!
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JonBoy wrote:I've heard though that the new iPhones don't have the headphone socket on them anymore. That will c@ck up my system! Does anyone know of a method I can get the audio output from the new iPhones into my intercom via my 3.5mm jack plug socket?
Cheers!

Don't you just buy Apple's own expensive lead? Or maybe get a copy from China, they're bound to have come up with something! ;-)
By The Other Ian
The only problem with the iPhone 7 using the lightning connector to provide a 3.5mm headphone socket is that you can't use the headphone socket adaptor and charge/power the phone at the same time.

If you are not desperate to have the latest phone, the iPhone 6s is still available and has a seperate 3.5mm socket.

Although, personally, I use my iPhone 6s via the Bluetooth on my Bose A20 headset. No need for any extra cables/connections - and use the headset mic rather than hold the phone.

Edit: If you want to listen to music via the Bose headset, you still need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to plug into the headset controller.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Other Ian wrote:Edit: If you want to listen to music via the Bose headset, you still need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to plug into the headset controller.

Totally tedious and something that would naff me off if I had one of those headsets.