The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
cockney steve wrote:The owners manual gives no minimum, that I can find, but I run it at 6 or more. Maybe I can reduce that.

Why Lycoming don't give a minimum for the dry sump I have no idea. I was surprised to see only 2 quarts as a minimum for the o360

Most of the"surplus "oil is foe cooling an an endurance reserve for burning..
you need enough to prime the oil-pump, filter, galleries and enough to trickle down, after it's done it's job and keep the pump full . Had a BMC Mini in once, with a flickering oil-light.....it took 9 pints! (capacity awa 9 1/2 !....remarkably, there was no damage.

Thought you'd bought yourself a new year pressie for a moment , then I realised the first two lines were quotes . :lol: :thumright:
By cockney steve
Couldn't be **** going back and doing the "quote" thingy..

too bloody cold! nursing the evil manflu, ATM. living on Ibuprofen, orange juice and honey in hot water.

There's nothing like a good diet......and that is nothing............ hacking cough has subsided, mainly, today.
mick w liked this
By Ben Twings
ChrisRowland wrote:I'd love to know how Lycoming came up with a formula with one variable and three constants. Doubt they will say so.

As I understand it, the max burn rate is based on the loss of octane rating caused by mixing oil with the fuel/air charge. Analogous to mixing diesel fuel with your Avgas.

And I believe the 2 qt minimum level is purely based on the pump being able to deliver oil in all normal attitudes. Best not to let it get anywhere near that low.
By GAFlyer4Fun
For our O-320-D3G, it sounds notably rougher when it gets down towards 5 qrts (although some members don't notice the difference pre-takeoff or in cruise). Much smoother with 6 quarts, and personally I would equate a smoother engine as being more efficient and causing itself less wear n tear.

(We have always been told to maintain 6 quarts with this engine and not let it go below 5 quarts. Although the max is 8 quarts in the book, apparently our engine pushes it out if there is more than 7 quarts).

YMMV