The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By thegasguy
The, very long, vacuum driven artificial horizon in my Jodel is officially dead.
I'm going to replace it with either a D2 or the very similar Avmap EFIS, both allowing me to remove the Venturi at the same time plus giving me backup instruments.
I'm favouring the Avmap unit as it has additional GPS derived VOR and ADF capability and I really don't need the G meter in the D2.
Against, is the fact that the Avmap has to be fully installed to pitot-static lines, and looks to be a faff to calibrate, whereas the D2 is just clip-in and fly (I think).
Anyone got experience of either?
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Avmap doesn't include a backup battery, so if your electrical system dies, it wont work as a backup?
I assume you're not looking for IMC ability (neither would work for that).
I don't see the point of a GPS derived ADF / VOR as anything other than a curiosity?
They are quite different beasts - one includes real airspeed / altitude, the other has those GPS driven. One is portable, battery operated (can have USB power in the cockpit) the other needs installed.

What are you wanting this for?
By flybymike
riverrock wrote:I assume you're not looking for IMC ability (neither would work for that).

Do you mean purely from a legal point of view, or for some other practical reason?
By riverrock
Both - I don't know what the rest of your panel is, but as you say this is a backup and the current one is vacuum driven, I'm guessing your other means of determining attitude is electric. To be a backup and electric, it would need an independent source of electricity. That is likely to rule out AVMAP (unless you install 2nd alternator / additional battery).
The Dynon D2 isn't made to any sort of standard, and when I talked to Dynon they didn't have a plan to certify it. Therefore it isn't going to be suitable as a backup attitude indicator from a legal point of view for IMC (I'm assuming your Jodel is LAA Permit). Also, if you were going to mount the D2, you'd want a proper power supply that is designed to be installed. It expects to be charged with a USB lead.
By thegasguy
My reasons for wanting some feedback from users of either unit are;
I have an IRR, so I am used to having ADF and VOR available and am still reasonably current in using them.
It's still nice to intercept a radial as a nav crosscheck.
The fact that they are GPS based can only be a good thing, as they can be 'tuned' from any range and are not subject to shutdowns or range problems.
SD on two devices is my primary nav method.
The other consideration is that I can get a multitude of information in the panel space gained by removing the vacuum A.H.
Both units show lots of info, the Avmap unit shows a lots more,but, is the nav page useable in the air?
Would the very simple D2 be the better unit for a simple pilot in a simple aeroplane?
I don't mind fully installing as I'm just starting the fit of a new 8.33 radio (Trig remote head) and it looks like a full re-wire is on the cards to remove redundant cable while I'm at it.
By the way, I just received my free harness back from Airworld and it looks lovely, made to my spec ( lengths) and fully labelled. Now to make the rest of the wiring to a similar standard, a nice winter project.
By GolfHotel
I like the look of the grt. I mean the capability.

But it's a bit bigger than the dynon, so it may be a bit big to replace an existing steam gauge.
By thegasguy
Oh- I hadn't considered the size. I assumed all these things were made to fit standard cutouts.
My dead A.H. is ' top dead centre' of the panel so there may be some room around it to enlarge the hole or maybe just partially surface mount any replacement, as they are quite shallow.
Food for thought !
By foxmoth
Sizes are in the manuals that are acc ssible on line, I just used cardboard cutouts to see how they would fit in our panel.
By GolfHotel
thegasguy wrote:Oh- I hadn't considered the size. I assumed all these things were made to fit standard cutouts.
My dead A.H. is ' top dead centre' of the panel so there may be some room around it to enlarge the hole or maybe just partially surface mount any replacement, as they are quite shallow.
Food for thought !

I think the D2 or the Avmap will fit a standard hole. You need to check the room around it. A Garmin will as well is that a G5?

The GRT is more capable by the look of it but its the best part of 4" Sq. So if you are trying to fit it in a hole left by a 3.25" instrument you might find a problem. I'm looking at the GRT it looks very capable.
By Flying_john
We have both (well actually a D1 and the Avmap Ultra).

They both have their place. The Avmap is plumbed into the aircraft and the D1 with its internal battery is our get out of jail card if all the electrics fail !.

The EFIS has more features and is reading true airspeed and barometric altitude, but we had an issue with calibrating the magnetometer for the compass - and I think is still not 100%. Aha some may say - who uses a compass, but it's use is in calculating the wind direction and velocity as it uses the GPS track and speed to do some sums inside to display actual windspeed and direction, but ours gives silly readings like 50kt winds aloft - so not its best feature.

You are also able to program in user waypoints and potentially use them to make you own approach to your airfield if they dont have one. It also has a pseudo ADF mode and Pseudo VOR tracker - but its all based on GPS and doesnt actually recieve NDB or VOR transmitters.

So horses for courses, D1 great as an emergency tool, Avmap o.k for replacing or augmenting old six pack instruments, but no battery backup.