The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have just been planning an avionics upgrade in an EASA CofA SEP aeroplane to comply with the imminent 8.33 mandate, and reviewing AIP GEN1.5 has left me totally confused. We do sometimes operate the aircraft IFR, and we would like to continue to do so, thus:

• 5.2.1(g) requires 2xCom for all IFR flights
  • 5.2.1(h) requires 1xNav, 1xDME and 1xADF for IFR flights in controlled airspace, with an exemption that the ADF is only required to be fitted if the planned flight requires its use

This doesn't match the current (pre-upgrade) equipment fit in my aircraft which comprises 2xCom, 2xNav, 1xDME and 1xADF. Is my current second Nav a "luxury" which is not mandated for IFR flight?

More importantly, if my planned upgrade left me with 2xCom, 1xNav, 1xGPS, 1xDME and 1xADF due to space constraints, could this still be deemed suitable for IFR operation in controlled airspace?

Thanks in advance!
By Bathman
I've had similar thoughts too.

I fly IFR approaches OCAS and also into airfields located in Class D airspace. The aircraft have

ADF, DME, Mode C and a single Comm

and another

ADF, VOR/Localiser, Mode A and a single Comm

and another

VOR/Localiser/Glideslope, Mode C and a single Comm

I tried to find the regulation to see if the current equipment was legal. I also wanted to check with respect to possible equipment upgrades. I did find the section in the ANO 2016 (page 178). I did discuss it with two other people who I would regard as knowledgeable and they couldn't understand it.

I also posted on another forum basically the same question as you and nobody answered.

I've therefore concluded that nobody understands and I just carry on as before.

Despite trying to do the honest thing.
By Merlin83b
Having asked elsewhere, I was rightly pointed to the publication date of those AIP pages. One radio is all that Part-NCO requires. Likewise, 1 nav is fine, too. You can find details at http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industr ... /Part-NCO/ and in particular might find useful info in Julian Scarfe's PPL/IR guide to Part-NCO.
By T67M
Thanks both - what a lot of reading!

I'm tending to agree that in an EASA aircraft, the minimum required is 1xCom and 1xNav, but that these must be separate devices to comply with the requirement that "if one item of equipment fails there should be sufficient left to allow the flight to be completed safely (even if not according to the original plan)", so a single Com/Nav/GPS would not be sufficient.

In a non-EASA aircraft, which is subject to the equipment list in the ANO, then 1xCom and 1xNav in a single box is sufficient unless the aircraft is used for IFR training (or any other public transport operation) in which case a second Nav is required.

Put another way, it's another fine b*gg*rs muddle :wall:
By wigglyamp
All airways flying requires BRNAV as a minimum and then you may also want to fly certified GPS approaches. For any form of PBN, the associated flight manual supplement may state additional back-up equipment requirements.
More details, on the required kit for PBN can be found here: https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP773FINAL.pdf
T67M liked this
By Cookie
All airways flying requires BRNAV as a minimum

See AIP GEN 1.5 para 3.2.1.

...and a Mode S transponder.

See AIP ENR 1.6 para 2.1.1, and GEN 1.5 para 5.3.1.

Cookie