The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
Brand new RC Allen 22-7 installed on Sunday. My A&P and most others say it's worse than they've seen before. One other guy who also installed a brand new 22-7 two weeks ago says his does the same.

After that initial 20 seconds it works perfectly. Haven't spoken to RC Allen yet; my A&P suggests running with it for a while to see if it settles down (warranty is good for a year).

Thoughts?

By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bear in mind, i'M NOT A PILOT!

AIUI, This is a gyro- instrument . Until ir's spun-up, the flywheel is just a dead-weight
with no gyroscopic stability or precession. It is possible there will be resonant imbalances,passed -through as the operating -speed is attained.

Could this be the cause?
Please bear in mind I am a pilot :D Hello Steve :D

I've never seen one wobble quite that much, it looks a bit under damped to me. But if it settles down and works well in flight just a call to the manufactures might give you a steer as to what to do.
By TonyC
Was the aircraft moved around a few minutes before?

Katamarino wrote:Brand new RC Allen 22-7 installed on Sunday. My A&P and most others say it's worse than they've seen before. One other guy who also installed a brand new 22-7 two weeks ago says his does the same.

After that initial 20 seconds it works perfectly. Haven't spoken to RC Allen yet; my A&P suggests running with it for a while to see if it settles down (warranty is good for a year).

Thoughts?

By TonyC
I think you will find its been damaged inside during shipping. I had a similar thing with a DG once an internal part had come loose.

Katamarino wrote:Doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's just been moved, or has sat for a few hours.