The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Chasnaisflyer
Engine Continental O-300-D with Slick 664 magnetos. Said magnetos work well but are due for overhaul soon and I suspect one has a seal leaking , a bit. Enquiries suggest parts for this old mag not available and those organisations I have spoken too have declined to work on these parts.
My question. Does anybody know of an overhauler for these mags. or failing that, what are the recommendations of type number for a complete change of magneto. new or exchanged.
By Ben Twings
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob L wrote:
Chasnaisflyer wrote:Engine Continental O-300-D with Slick 664 magnetos.

I thought all Slick magnetos had 4 numbers? But I'm willing to be corrected.

Rob

It depends on the number of cylinders!
By Chasnaisflyer
I come back to my original problem. I have ascertained that it is impossible to get these 664 Magneto's overhauled or replaced in any way. I am compelled to buy a newer version. ,The 6364.Now I have another problem.
According to my engineer who is ultra conservative but more often than not, right I now have to get CAA approval to fit these different Magneto's. I would appreciate the opinions of others, experiences and approval costs etc.
It is maddening, especially as only one mag needs to be replaced right now but according to Slick/Champion I have to fit the same type on both sides
By Rob L
Having had a quick look at the TCDS for both the Continental O-300 and the Rolls Royce O-300 (TCDS E-253 and E41N respectively...Clicky), [the two TCDS are fundamentally the same] it appears your Engineer is correct, in at least that only the 664 can be fitted.

But Slick or the airframe manufacturer may themselves have an STC for fitment of the "replacement" mags to your engine/airframe combination. You don't specify the airframe...is it a 172?

Or there may already be other aircraft of the same type which has gone through this Mod, in which case I should imagine it will be a "standard" mod.

It doesn't help you with the cost of new mags, unfortunately, but might help with the Mod cost.

Aerofurb (of this parish) is a chap worth having a chat with.

Rob
By Rob L
Edit, for background info:

Very early Slick mags, as fitted to O-200 and O-300 engines (and probably others) were condidered "disposable". They had a life of 500 hours, and were then thrown away, to be replaced with new ones. Everyone back then understood that; they were cheap, after all.

Slick then decided to start producing mags that could be overhauled at 500 hours. What a co-incidental number!

Slick then started to offer a core exchange for other manufacturer's mags, so many Bendix, Case and Eisemann and other mags were consigned to the scrap heap [read: smashed with a big hammer]. An excellent marketing strategy.

My own opinion is that ALL Slick mags are not of the best quality. They have a lot of OOB (out-of-box) failures, even today. But Bendix mags cost an awful lot more to overhaul, but are of better quality. As are Eisemanns, my personal favourite.

Slick seems to have cornered the market somewhat, and I admire their business strategy, but not their products.
stickandrudderman liked this
By Rob L
OK, I'll try to find out what mags are fitted to similar aircraft in my area...but it may well be the case that yours will need replacing. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not a licenced engineer, but Aerofurb is (have a chat with him too).
By Rob L
Rob L wrote:OK, I'll try to find out what mags are fitted to similar aircraft in my area...but it may well be the case that yours will need replacing. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not a licenced engineer, but Aerofurb is (have a chat with him too).

Sorry for the delay, Chasnaisflyer, but I can confirm that the mags fitted to my local F172K (with an O-300-D) are Slick model number 6364 (see picture below). The original 664 mags apply to the K model (as to your H model), so there must be a PMA approval. Please note that your 172H is a different model number to the F172K to which I refer...not that it should make any difference).

I'm afraid it still doesn't affect that you have to get new ones...it does make me wonder though: you must have a VERY low-houred engine to have the original mags still installed.

The 6364 Mags are PMA'd replacements for the 664. Log book entry only.