The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Bathman
But Cockney Steve don't forget for a maintenance organization to overhaul magnetos (and remember a qualified engineer isn't allowed to overhaul magnetos outside of an approve organization) the maintenance organization has to get special additional approval off the CAA to do it.

The cost of preparing the manuals, audits, visits and all the other paraphernalia means that many maintenance organizations don't do enough overhauls to justify the financial outlay. Hence they have to be sent elsewhere to be overhauled and I suspect that for those that do these additional costs have to be passed onto the customer.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
^^^^^ that was all touched upon briefly when I suggested how the price ramps up.
The fact very few have jumped through the hoops creates a cartel with no incentive to reduce their profit margins......only when business is quiet, will there be any incentive to compete on price....after all, if they have the piece of paper, they're made /maintained to the same standard, aren't they. see final comments!
By Rob L
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I sent the engine in for overhaul. I argued, but was told that they had to be overhauled at engine overhaul. I've mentioned this on the forum before. I have an e-mail chain with Ken Craigie.

That was either bad advice, or it's a Bulldog mandatory requirement, or you misunderstood (your choice). PM me if you like.

Rob
146fixer liked this
By Rob L
Bathman wrote:140 quid cash by a vintage car company

But no mines a c of a so 600 quid.

Why an earth are we still flying aircraft with points?

Why an[sic] Earth are we still using a type writer that doesn't have a Capital Letter or apostrophe key? :roll:

Actually, the first aircraft ever flown had no points, so you could still do that, even today, if you so chose.

Rob
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Why an earth are we still flying aircraft with points?

At least we are no longer flying aircraft with mines in.
By Joe Dell
Cockney Steve wrote.
"bet there are many stationary-engines, boats, tractors and motor- vehicles with Mags that reliably do 30 or more years between any sort of work other than points-set /replacement."

Spot on. A friend of mine has a couple of old tractors he takes to shows. They have the same mags and carbs as my aeroplane and many others, and no need of a battery. They don't get fiddled with, and run sweet as a nut.
Thumper liked this