The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By thegasguy
Now I'm flying my Jodel and having to land at my home strip via a tricky curved approach, I'm keen to find out what a D117 might do if handled badly near the stall while turning.
Yes, I can find out for myself at altitude - and I will very shortly- but half an idea of what's coming seems sensible.
My tailwheel rating instructor (GR-thank you) at the Tiger Club got me to pull too hard in a turn in the Super Cub G-SWAY to demonstrate that it just rolled level.
Does a Jodel do that, or a horrible flick and a carbon footprint? Does the normal technique of picking the wing up with rudder apply?
Any anecdotes or advice appreciated.
Rob L liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Most Jodels will have been homebuilt and even those who weren't will now be quite elderly and unlikely to conform fully to the design spec. Therefore one Jodel's behaviour may not be the same as the next one's so you must, as you write, find out yourself as to what yours is like.
By thegasguy
Will do - carefully!
It's factory built by SAN, but back in 1957 so anything may happen I guess.
I can't find any written indication of the 'original' behaviour so am relying on word of mouth to give me a clue as to the likely outcome of an incipient stall in a turn.
There are some high-hours Jodel pilots locally- I'll be talking to them before I get anywhere near testing this for myself.
By Rob L
thegasguy wrote:Now I'm flying my Jodel .....

Well done, and best of luck too. I assume it's on a permit, so you will learn about aircraft maintenance etc.

Think of it as a set of teeth...they need tender loving care, otherwise they can bite. :eye:

Rob
By thegasguy
Rob L;
Yes, it's on a permit. I've already made and fitted new elevator and aileron air-seals, complete with new ply strips to hold them on as well as replacing some of the control surface hinges.
This had given me a good intro into working on a wooden aircraft.
Some engine servicing and fabric repairs ( with help and advice) have been fun, I can't see me going back to C of A aircraft anytime soon.
By Rob P
Rob L wrote:
Think of it as a set of teeth...they need tender loving care, otherwise they can bite.

Pretty poor analogy there. If you don't look after a set of teeth they can't bite. :D
By Flintstone
Dave W wrote:Anticipate a wing drop, not the Super Cub behaviour you describe.

My experience of Jodels is limited to a sample group of two so I have to ask, is a wing drop in the stall normal or possible (given FD's comment about variation)?
By rohmer
Having owned 4 different Jodel types, I'd say possible but not necessarily normal. My D112 would roll wings level from a stall off a 30 degree turn. My D117A can drop a wing if stalled straight & level with air brakes down, but not every time. So as DaveW says, anticipate it rather than assume it won't happen.
By Dave W
The Jodels I have flown are fine if stalled straight and level; mostly had limited wingdrop, although one was more pronounced - not too dramatically though.

The behaviour in a turning stall can be different, though. Still quite recoverable but can surprise you if you're expecting what you've previously seen S&L.
By squawking 7700
Dave,
Don't you fly a DR221? which is pretty much a Jodel, how does the stall characteristics of that differ from the Jodels that you've flown?

By Rob L
thegasguy wrote:Rob L;
Yes, it's on a permit. I've already made and fitted new elevator and aileron air-seals, complete with new ply strips to hold them on as well as replacing some of the control surface hinges.
This had given me a good intro into working on a wooden aircraft.
Some engine servicing and fabric repairs ( with help and advice) have been fun, I can't see me going back to C of A aircraft anytime soon.

Good on you, keep us all posted with your progress. With the right attitude of mind (which you appear to have) and the right Inspector (I'm sure you have) then you will enjoy Permit to Fly aircraft to your hearts content.

Rob

p.s. I know three other "gas guys" at my own airfield, all three fly permit aircraft! There must be something in the medicine!
By foxmoth
Does the normal technique of picking the wing up with rudder apply?

Surprised no one has commented on this yet - you do NOT pick the wing up with rudder, use the rudder to prevent yaw then use the ailerons to roll wings level once recovered from the stall.
G-BLEW liked this