The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By rf3flyer
Only works VFR, but as far as judging cloud tops goes if they are above the horizon they're higher and if below, lower. At mere mortal heights your eye level is always the horizon.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
rf3flyer wrote:Only works VFR, but .....

Full circle... I suspect OP wants to know the distance to clouds to know if he is vfr! However, it is a misunderstanding, as it is not the distance to clouds that can decide but the distance from clouds..., so, if you ask me, he needs to be sitting on the cloud with a spirit level looking at the aircraft. :wink:
By GAFlyer4Fun
If it is not acceptable for the airline pilots to have their eyes lasered in flight then I think it is not acceptable for GA pilots to be inadvertently lasered by other GA pilots.
By tomtytom
This is what i thought, for my uni project i'm thinking of using two cameras one that pans left and right and on a fluffy cloudy day (wont work on a blanket cover) you'd be able calculate the distance when the two images match up looking at the angle of pan at that time. Its just an idea for now i need to decide if its enough for a uni project. It just happens that my interest in aviation may be used for a uni project. Iv anyone has an electrical/electronic degree project ideas based around GA I'd happily take ideas :)

Tom