The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Fellsteruk

Anyone else ordered or using one, I’ve been after a portable/digital co detector for a while and with the 20% off I thought why not…

Them paper disc things seem useless

I’m always convinced I’m being slowly killed when cruising and not helped when I get tickle in my through or nose so this will if nothing else prove I’m right or give me piece of mind :)
Last edited by Fellsteruk on Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Alternatively, for£20.... ... B00441S9GS will last for 7 years, doesn't need calibrated (they recommend you test it yourself using an incence stick yearly), and has delayed alarms (so less false alarms) based on the level detected. We attached it to the aircraft with some velcro. Depending on which vents, stage of flight I'm in and cabin heat, I get between 27ppm and 0 (less than 10ppm). The display shows buildup over time.
The alarm will sound:
• Between 60 and 90 minutes when exposed to a minimum of 50ppm of CO.
• Between 10 and 40 minutes when exposed to a minimum of 100ppm of CO.
• Within 3 minutes when exposed to a minimum of 300ppm of CO.
By Fellsteruk
I did look at them but I rent and already have to carry a packed bag so constantly trying to keep things small and I had visions of being woke up it going off because something was pressing against the massive test button :)

Just read the article, good review @EdH given the flying I do I’m not worried I didn’t go for pro model, it’s also good to know it may work for longer than 2 years and I didn’t know you can get a new sensor for $69 so that’s good.

You never know, maybe the CAA will do a rebate on these devices after the trial if they prove useful but I don’t see how they couldn’t as by the time you think you may have high co2 exposure it’s likely too late and in all reality you won’t notice and you’ll be unconscious. :(
User avatar
By Rob L
To some of the above posters: It's CO (carbon monoxide) which is the larger threat to pilots in their aircraft and their homes too, not co2 (which doesn't exist...CO2 exists; that's carbon dioxide :? ])which is also unhealthy but largely unlikely to affect pilots.
As is Cobalt (Co) of course: it'll turn your teeth blue as you chew it.
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I use a forensics CO detector. On two occasions I have warmed my aeroplane up with the door open in very still and hot temperatures. It has recorded 9ppm but then cleared to zero once the door is closed and I have taxied away. I find this very reassuring that it works. I was unable to sense any exhaust fumes at all.
Available from LAS at Oakhampton.
Hope that helps.


edited spelling
Last edited by Nick on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:@Nick are you sure it's not just an ornament? :tongue: :tongue:

:lol: I have put new batteries in it now Misc. So it's working again. Seriously though if all is well, ie no exhaust leaks, then it is a bit of an ornament but the fact it has recorded a very low level on two occasions I think proves its worth. You just have to remember to switch it off. :oops:

Miscellaneous liked this