The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Mike101
Afternoon all,

I am at a complete loss and need help with this issue. I have an MGL explorer lite sat next to a FUNKE ATR833 radio in a flexwing.

I can TX perfectly fine and can be heard a long distance. But RX has a lot of static and I can't make anything out beyond about 8 miles away.

I have put ferite cores on everything and tried to shield the radio form the MGL but to no effect.

I have proved that it is the MGL that is the issue.

I understand this is a bit of a know problem so I'm looking for help and advice please.

Thanks
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Have you checked earthing? Particularly check that there isn’t an Earth loop within the mic wiring. Also verify that the bond from the single earthing point to the radio is sound.
By johnm
Agree, first thing to check is that earths are all connected properly and that any multiple earth points are bonded together
By Mike101
So I’m still no nearer solving this issue.

I now cannot fly through any airspace as I just can’t hear any controllers.

Some days I can hear ground stations ten miles away and then at the same time cannot hear another aircraft right next to me.

I added a different aerial to prove that was OK. With the MGL off it alll works fine. Put the MGL on and it’s like AM radio on a very bad day.

The earthing looks OK to me. I’m going to run another Earth from the MGL case to the aircraft frame and see if that helps.

But from what I can tell MGL explorers cause so many issues and many have given up and gone to another make.

Any more ideas as this is really getting a problem now.

I would pay good money for somebody to look over my system and fix it but nobody wants to touch it!!!!
By Sooty25
Have you tried the explorer alongside a different radio? It might be the radio overly sensitive to noise.

Have you raised the issue with MGL?
By TopCat
Just on the off chance that this isn't a completely dumb question... you don't have a squelch button that you haven't pressed do you?

First time I used my spangly new Trig radios after I went 8.33, I thought there was something wrong with them, there was so much background hiss and crackle. Then I read the manual, and discovered that with one little click, it all went away. :oops:

I realise you've got another device nearby, so I'm guessing you probably know a lot more about this sort of thing than I do.

But just in case...