The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By r1flyguy
Hi All

Anyone tried the jump start technique on the Garmin 695 when the battery has been dormant and the GPS unit can't see it?

Theres a few hits on google on how to jump start it so the unit an recognise and start charging it.

Anyone done this???

r1
By Trent772
Yup,

Done it, but in reality, the chances are that the battery is toast.

I spiked it with a 12v battery - don't just flash it - give it 5 or 10 seconds and then put it back on charge.

If you have an external source, it doesn't need the battery, but obviously it is good to have it in reserve.

Anyone want to buy a 695 with an iffy battery - please PM :thumleft:
By r1flyguy
Cheers Trent

I tried it today, used the outlaws electric golf bag battery, it worked.

However after a few hours of charging and Battery fully charged, it lasted about 30 mins before it went. However I plugged it in and its charging again.

Like everything with aviation, a normal similar battery for non aviation product, cheap as chips, as its for an aviation Garmin £174 !!!!!! :roll:
By letpmar
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Trent772 wrote:Yup,

Done it, but in reality, the chances are that the battery is toast.

I spiked it with a 12v battery - don't just flash it - give it 5 or 10 seconds and then put it back on charge.

If you have an external source, it doesn't need the battery, but obviously it is good to have it in reserve.

Anyone want to buy a 695 with an iffy battery - please PM :thumleft:

How much for the 695

Pete
By r1flyguy
Did ‘letpmar’ take you up on the offer?
Also what the date of the last database update?
If its sooner than 2013 and its still a available im happy to take it at asking price.
Checked my inbox which is empty!
By Trent772
Serpently not Sire...

There were storage costs, transport costs, disposal costs for packaging etc etc :clown:

Not sure if we are using it now - hoping that SkyDemon will pull their finger out and do a deal with Dynon for mapping... :thumleft: