The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By BournemouthFlyer
Good Evening,

I have a very stupid question, I have searched and searched on Google, through CAA documents, and I cannot find an answer.

I know somebody that's purchased two 421C's, they would like to sell the parts onwards. This is an area of aviation I have no expertise in whatsoever. He is selling all his parts very cheaply, but is selling them 'as removed', without certification or documentation.

I think there must be a lot more potential for profit, surely he could get the certification and documentation and sell these parts for more? What certifications do you (as a seller) need to provide the buyer with when selling plane parts for them to be considered 'certified'. Also, where in the UK would you go to get certification on second hand parts (parts that have been taken from broken up aircraft).

As I have mentioned, i appreciate this is probably a very stupid question, I have searched everywhere and I can't find the answer, I am hoping one of you might know?!

By James Forbes
It all depends on what parts are being removed. Since I only have certified avionics experience then I will stick to this and allow others to comment on airframe and engines and the uncertified world.

In the avionics world, certified units (ie those with TSO, ETSO, etc) require an EASA Form 1 or equivalent before they can be installed in certified aircraft. The easiest way to one is to return the unit to the manufacturer or an authorised repair centre who can then fully test the unit and release it as serviceable. They will release it on a Form 1 that identifies the units as used but tested as serviceable.

Hope this helps.

By 146fixer
Part M should give you the information you're looking for. The certifying engineer would have to be happy that the parts they are fitting are fit for purpose. But used parts can be legally fitted.
The problem in getting the parts certified is the cost. As it stands the parts are not costing any thing more than the original purchase price. I'd pass the cost and the hassle on unless you know you can sell the part on at a worthwhile profit without it tying up capital.
User avatar
By Korenwolf
In a previous life I worked for an aircraft parts dealer who would often buy up packages of spares from airliners being broken for parts. We sent the desirable bits off to repair shops for overhaul or 'test & recert' depending on the unit, the rest we'd advertise but keep on the shelf in 'as is' condition ready for the day when someone called for it. We'd either choose to sell it cheap as it was, or route it to the shop if the customer wanted it serviceable and certified.

The economics were pretty straightforward for buying aircraft for 'part out' - the money's in the engines, so we didn't pay more than they were worth. They should be sold on first, then get high value stuff like landing gear, props and avionics tested and recertified. After that you're in profit zone, and the scrap weight of the aircraft is all bunce. So, anything you get for the remaining parts is a bonus.

There should be a few places who would be able to bench test C421 components, or inspect and certify stuff like flying controls, if there is a market for them. Be wary of throwing too much money at parts that may not be 'movers'
By 146fixer
Boxkite the short answer is yes the engineer can deem the parts as serviceable. He will not in most case's be able to give them any sort certification unless he works for a 145 maintenance company and they have an approved process to do this. Korenwolf describes the process well. Like I said before it in part M. You'll just have to spend some time reading it and convincing your engineer its a good idea for him to sign for the parts.