Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By davey
First visit to Thruxton today and quite impressed, there is a lot more GA there than I imagined. The A/G was very good and I approached on an extended base for R31 (grass) and as said above it was very smooth and I to was at a low taxi speed when I reached the hard runway. Altogether very good and I will go again.

Edit: Thanks to Haskey and Thurleigh for the pix they did give me added confidence at an airfield I hadn't visited before :D
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There's already a thread for Thruxton here. Fuel price updates should go in the AVGAS prices sticky thread above.

Iceman 8)
By Keef
Topics merged.
Not sure about the fuel price. It really needs to be more definite before updating the table. We've not had a Thruxton price for a while.
By TomG
Well i paid that not so long ago, on my return home ill confirm :)
By joe-fbs
Visited in January, only just made the effort to post.

Thruxton is easy enough spot, a 1000m tarmac runway just to the West of Andover. The AG Radio operator was most insistent that I use an overhead join, a practice that I really dislike especially when there is only 500 feet between it and circuit height. None of that is an excuse for the pig's ear that I made of it resulting in me doing it twice! Anyway, all was well. The cafe is very pleasant, the tea is served in a pot and includes chocolate digestives, what's not to like! Landing fee is a more than reasonable twelve pounds. However, I didn't feel particularly welcome at the airfield (the cafe was very friendly). First, the attitude of the radio operator was not good. On departure, despite me having booked out in the office, I got a rather snotty request for my destination and a simple enquiry as to whether to taxi on the grass (official taxiway) or the hard (runway) received an impatient response. It seemed a reasonable question, I had seen someone taxi on the runway when I arrived and it is January so the grass is soggy everywhere. Also, it's one of those places that has a ridiculous all shall have hi-vis rule. In summary, seven out of ten, excellent facility but not terribly welcoming. Maybe it was my own fault and they are friendly if you can do an overhead join without messing up.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
joe-fbs wrote:Thruxton is easy enough spot

Did you spot my strip (and aeroplane) on the way there though? :D

joe-fbs wrote:The AG Radio operator was most insistent that I use an overhead join

Was it busy? In January?

joe-fbs wrote:Landing fee is a more than reasonable twelve pounds.

Half price if you buy fuel I believe, so £6 if you do.

joe-fbs wrote:Stuff about the A/G chap

I've spoken about him before...or I assume the same person from what you say.

https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1488482#p1488482

I'd just give him a stiff ignoring...he might have been cold and grumpy sitting up there all day...

joe-fbs wrote:Also, it's one of those places that has a ridiculous all shall have hi-vis rule.

When did that happen? I've never worn hi-viz around Thruxton. I've never seen anyone wear hi-viz around Thruxton. Maybe it's a January thing....
By joe-fbs
From the AIP:

EGHO AD 2.20 LOCAL TRAFFIC REGULATIONS
1 Airport Regulations
(a) ... The wearing of high visibility clothing is mandatory.
By ryana178
joe-fbs wrote:First, the attitude of the radio operator was not good.

Interesting. Visited last week and thought the same thing! 'Cleared' us on to the active and then tried to tell us off for flying over a village which was way out to our right! Contrary to this one chap though we found everyone else to be most friendly/helpful