Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By joe-fbs
Did a fuel stop there yesterday. Part of the Highlands and Islands airports network so the official rules and attitude on the web site seem officious but the reality is very friendly and practical (ditto Kirkwall and Inverness).

Lovely location on the banks of the estuary and close to the town (EFATO on 09 I think has the estuary as the only option).

Very mixed traffic; commercial, corporate and light (including training).

Landing for a PA28 was twelve pounds fifty.

We took (I think) 65 litres of fuel which cost GBP 150.

There is a snack bar in the terminal but it was closed. There is a chain food pub a short walk away which was OK.
By Rob P
Much as above. The PPR form is a pain but it all works. Select Dundee Airport handling and there is no extra charge, "Is the Aircraft arriving from a UK NASP CP?" No idea what this meant so I just answered 'No'

Landing fee now £21 for a light single

Tayside's visiting aircraft parking is against their eastern boundary fence

Taxi to town £6 - 7

Delightful destination and hassle free

Rob P
By Miscellaneous
joe-fbs wrote:I think has the estuary as the only option).

I seem to recall Timothy discovering just that, the hard way. :shock:

@Rob P I hope you spent significantly more than 7 of your English pounds? :wink:

On a serious note, glad you enjoyed your trip. :thumright:

EDIT: did you by chance visit the new V&A ?
Rob P, Iceman liked this
By Rob P
No, but I had a long chat to a delightful V&A staffer who was standing by two "Stop me and buy one" tricycles on the waterfront with local arty and green stuff for sale. She looked really bored and was grateful for someone to talk to.

This was by way of an exploratory trip prior to spending a couple of day's city break with Sandra.

Rob P
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:
joe-fbs wrote:I think has the estuary as the only option).

I seem to recall Timothy discovering just that, the hard way. :shock:

Oh I don't know... if there weren't hordes of people on the playing fields at the end I reckon I'd be pretty close to my turnback height by the time I ran out of available grass. That runway is 1400m long for a start.

Fond memories of Dundee - it's where I had my first few flying lessons.
By GrahamB
I thought the unfortunate swimming lesson that Timothy and family had was due to a runway excursion rather than an EFATO.
By TopCat
GrahamB wrote:I thought the unfortunate swimming lesson that Timothy and family had was due to a runway excursion rather than an EFATO.

There's only one Timothy isn't there? Was there a Dundee episode as well as a St Mary's one?
By GrahamB
TopCat wrote:
GrahamB wrote:I thought the unfortunate swimming lesson that Timothy and family had was due to a runway excursion rather than an EFATO.

There's only one Timothy isn't there? Was there a Dundee episode as well as a St Mary's one?

Yes, but was just an unfortunate passenger on the Dundee one, along with an aged mother-in-law and others IIRC. Quite a frightening experience by all accounts.
By Miscellaneous
@TopCat I think this is the incident. Maybe @GrahamB can confirm?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3212401.stm
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/188933

TBH it's hard to keep up with his stories without getting them muddled. Last count (a number of years ago) was 10 engine failures. :shock: I'm sure he told me the story of each, however I consider I'm doing well to remember it was 10. :wink:

@Rob P is it thumbs up for a visit with Sandra? :thumright:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By GrahamB
Miscellaneous wrote:@TopCat I think this is the incident. Maybe @GrahamB can confirm?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3212401.stm
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/188933

TBH it's hard to keep up with his stories without getting them muddled. Last count (a number of years ago) was 10 engine failures. :shock: I'm sure he told me the story of each, however I consider I'm doing well to remember it was 10. :wink:

I believe it is, but both reports make the mistake of assuming that a person sitting in the front RHS is crew. The AAIB report says 1 crew, 3 passengers.
Miscellaneous liked this
By Rob P
Miscellaneous wrote:@Rob P is it thumbs up for a visit with Sandra? :thumright:

Absolutely.

I did a Peugeot gig there a few years back and loved the days I spent in the city. I didn't love driving back to East Anglia in one of the knackered old work vans though, so I was already sold on the idea, and I know Sandra would enjoy it.
Yesterday was really that I needed a decent length flight, and with France being a lot of hassle decided to do the trip on my own to clock up some stick time and check on how the airport was, the ease of taxis and the like.

But yes, we will be back at some point. Hopefully soon.

Rob P
By Rob P
What an amazing experience to have at 14!

Well done you. :thumleft:

Rob P