Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By The Westmorland Flyer
I claim Glenforsa as the prettiest airfield in Britain, better even than Compton Abbas. There are stunning views across the Sound of Mull to the mountains beyond and the coastline is delightful and immediately accessible from the airfield.

Glenforsa offers 730m or so of lovely smooth grass orientated 07/25, alongside the Sound of Mull. You really can't miss Glenforsa - just fly up the sound from the Oban area and after rounding a small headland it is clearly visible. Detailed information is available at the airfield web site, so no need to repeat here.

Adjacent to the airfield is the Glenforsa Hotel, run by aviation enthusiasts Allison and Brendan. Much of the conversation in the bar is about aviation, as are all the decorations and magazines. Nestling amongst the wide array of malts on the top shelf you'll find one that is unique to Glenforsa: Oleo Oil! The hotel's restaurant and wine cellar are first class.

The annual Mull fly in is over the late May bank holiday weekend and is well worth taking part in. Book well in advance if you plan to stay at the Glenforsa Hotel. Or you can camp by your aircraft for free. The weather is usually pretty good at that time of year and it is not unusual to have 100 aircraft flying in. It's a very friendly affair and highly recommended.

Cars can be rented from David Howitt, the airfield manager or from the Glenforsa Hotel (details on respective web sites above). Tobermory is well worth a visit and the whole island is delightful to drive around. Petrol is, unsurprisingly, rather expensive but you won't use all that much!
By 140kias
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Westmorland Flyer wrote:I claim Glenforsa as the prettiest airfield in Britain, better even than Compton Abbas.

Westmorland. I second that 100%. The sunset looking up the Sound of Mull on a clear night can be unbelievable.

If in the area, I'd also recommend popping into the new airfields on Coll and Collonsay, both are 500m tarmac. The Coll Hotel and Collonsay Hotel are a fair walk from their respective airfields. However with a bit of advance planning they will happily make arrangements to collect you if you plan to partake in their hospitality.

The cream scones at the Collonsay Hotel come highly recommended.
By CaptChaos
I can also thoroughly recommend it. When we flew our C172 round the UK, Glenforsa was one of my objectives and it didn't let me down. Superb location, relaxed but also helpful people abound (listern to the advice re southerly wind causing turbelence and a the "log cabin" hotel has excellent food and views to finish the day with a wee dram.

Oh and when parking, if you end up across the slope, turn the fuel off otherwise it will syphon across!
By Keef
Agree 110%.

I was so impressed with Brendan and Alison's hotel that I suggested the same source for a "new" Church nearby. We went to see one: it's expected to last 400 years if properly cared for. Not bad for timber.

Gorgeous airfield and hotel. I want to get M up there some day soon.
By Pete L
CaptChaos wrote:
Oh and when parking, if you end up across the slope, turn the fuel off otherwise it will syphon across!

And if parking nose down, check the fuel drains once the aircraft is level again - got to Oban after a two day stay and found a tester full in each tank after refuelling. :oops:

Brendan now has time for a little fishing. Freshness guaranteed.
By johnm
Great place to stay but not great for an IMC departure :roll:
By jerz
I've been there several times. :D
I found it an idyllic location for Scotland and visiting (flying) the Western Isles.
Brendan and Alison's log cabin style hotel providing a great base for visiting the Islands and visiting their splendid breathtaking scenery.
Hire cars are short supply, Alison wasn't too happy when I managed to wreck two alloys and tyres in her car, which I used. I didn't leave them in the lurch too much by shipping them out two new wheels and tyres from the London metropolis, which they had two days later. Getting things done out there would have taken forever via Glasgow, as I'm in the trade I was able to get them out of bother quickly. So if you need a car from the hotel, better not mention my name :wink:
Digressing, the point I wanted to make was that if you need a hire car arrange it well before your trip. Also if you might want to be taken on any of the islands superb nature trails also book well in advance so not to be disappointed.
The hotel likewise can be solidly booked during the summer weekends.
I'm looking forward to another visit some time again, once I've got myself another suitable steed.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
If a picture is worth a thousand words then here is a three thousand word essay on Glenforsa:
I believe that the parking area has moved since the last picture was taken in 2005.
By CaptChaos
A few more words!

Short finals

Visitor parking as per August (further along)

Another visitor parking view

View from bar
By jerz
Always spectacular scenery. :D
Always a great trip. :D

Glenforsa
Base leg
David Howitt's Flight Centre ( The shed)
Hotel Bar
Bar Lounge
Mull middle bit
Starting down the Glen
Loch Ness
Ben Nevis under there somewhere !
Your just in time for Jammie Dodgers with Paul Keegan (Oban)
First you have to clear immigration with Paul's assistant.
By ZOGman
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:If a picture is worth a thousand words then here is a three thousand word essay on Glenforsa:

I believe that the parking area has moved since the last picture was taken in 2005.

Thats Zoggy in the background - far right !
You can just make out our hotel (the tent) behind - The Inn was full. :(
By AndyR
On that same trip as ZOGman and TGIAPA28. Almost 4 years ago, we really have to do it again soon!!!

Tobermory

Ben Nevis without the snow

By David Curley
Stopped at Glenforsa hotel 3 times now, each time better than the last, guess what ? booked for another 10 days in May . Shame Brendan,s sold his Cub, the photos of the accommodation on his website were taken by me, bartered for a flight sighseeing in the Cub.

The food is fantastic and the aviation crack is better than any club because if Brenan has'nt flown it it is not worth talking about, and he has the photos to prove it.
By jerz

I missed this one out from the last lot. I left the best until last.

Typical evening view out from the hotel over the Sound of Mull. Part of the mystique of Scotland's beauty.:o
By malcolmfrost
Picturesque airstrip on the island of Mull, 17nm West of Oban. Runways 07/25, 780m long, sloping South to North. Land on the uphill side. Interesting rotor effects with Southerly winds, the windsocks at each end may indicate differently. No fuel, nearest in Oban, but very expensive and no UL91.
David, the airfield manager is very helpful, and runs a car hire business, so will meet you at the aircraft with a car for a very advantageous rate. Plenty of B&B s in Tobermory. You can camp next to your aircraft if you want.