Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Keef
As well as the B&Bs in Tobermory (tell the children it's Balamory, which it also is), there is my favourite UK hotel right by the strip - the Glenforsa Hotel, owned and run by Alison and Brendan. You do have to book well ahead: it's extremely popular, not just with aviators.

Iceman tends to organise the odd few fly-outs there each year. I've been a few times. Sometimes, you manage to get into the strip (just) and can then sit for a day or two watching the weather outside (but not venturing out in it) while enjoying fine food and malt. At other times, you can do some of the most stunning aviation in the British Isles.

Many of the fine pictures that used to grace this thread have evaporated, but the remainder show something of the place.
By joe-fbs
As described by previous posters, if there was such a thing as heaven this would be pilots' heaven!

A few practical points:
There is a b&b on the same site (well a hundred yards down the lane) for if the hotel is full. It is called Tigh An Solas.
Salen is about a mile and half (maximum) to walk, you can go along either the shoreline or the road, neither to be attempted after dark I suggest. It's a positive metropolis with a number of places to stay and eat.
There is a bus stop outside the hotel which I think will get you to Salen and Tobermory but not very frequently.
By DavidC
Glenforsa has been on my bucket list for some time, having overflown it a couple of times but never landed. The airstrip is now actively managed and operated by Brendan and Allison, the hotel owners, rather than the district council and they have made significant improvements in recent years. The strip is now somewhat narrower but still 28m and about 780m long, where before it was something like 45m wide. Although this concentrates the mind, it means you land on much better surface - Brendan has invested in a substantial amount of drainage and keeps the grass short. Keep to the uphill/south side for the best surface. We were advised not to brake hard or do donuts and churn up the grass. Brendan came out to marshall us after landing, helped push back and even carried our bags inside. He's an active pilot and now owns the bright yellow Stearman (with US Mail markings) which you might see on the webcam. He took it for a few circuits to entertain us (and get back into practice) when we visited. Departing runway 25 you climb out with a hill directly ahead of you, so a gentle early turn required.

West Scottish weather can be very changeable - everything from glorious sunshine to low cloud, drizzle and strong winds all in the same day. If you can't get in, the nearest airport at Oban is also likely to be socked in, so consider your alternates. PPR essential there but fuel (and Jammy Dodgers) readily available. Prestwick is one of the nearest with a flying club and fuel - good for a quick fuel stop on the way up.

For 2018 the hotel bar has been extended and built out with some very nice wooden interior and large outdoor decking. There's also an upstairs lounge with glorious views out towards the Sound of Mull. Frankly not a lot in the immediate vicinity although nice for a stroll and it's a fair walk to get anywhere, so pre-arrange a car/taxi if you did want to go to Tobermory etc. We didn't investigate bus services. Bar food served all day, full Scottish breakfast available from 8am, restaurant open from 6.30pm. The owners have worked hard to build up and improve the hotel since they bought it around 2002, even growing their own vegetables onsite. Brendan was particularly helpful with advice both by phone beforehand and during our visit.

One point of note is the hotel cancellation policy (no refunds after 7 days beforehand). Most visitors don't come by plane and I very much understand the owners can't skip the chance of income from their rooms. So you have to have a mindset that there is a fair chance you won't be able to make it and have a clear Plan B if the weather is below limits. Don't make Oban your only alternate.

We signed off with Scottish Info near waypoint BRUCE, spoke to Oban briefly then self-announced on frequency prior to landing. The airfield website and webcams give a good impression of the current conditions.