Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By johnm
I had search in the ATIS and didn't get anything, does anyone have experience of visiting there and knowledge of Landing fees handling etc. at Douglas?
By buzzman
I flew there with a friend last year from Elstree. We routed to North Wales, along the coast to Anglessey nice and high (watch out for the E/W airway base 9500') hen direct to IOM.

They have a flying club there which is very reasonable and the people there are very helpful. Keeps you away from commercial prices.

You need to clear with Special Branch 24 hrs before you go but otherwise it's a nice easy flight.

It was very windy when we left and I'm told that's not uncommon for IOM but they do have 3 runways so you should find one into wind most days.
By johnm
Thanks Buzzman, the flying club would be Manx Flyers I assume? I'll probably go in a straight line from Staverton or might go IFR, I'm a regular at Alderney so I know about winds and special branch :-)
By Jonzarno
I went there IFR from Cambridge last August. Landing fee and 2 days parking was £26.50. Everyone very helpful and friendly.

Have a good trip! :D
By Waveflyer
John
A group of us went to Ronaldsway in 2009 and we got caught for handling on the South side. Worth avoiding that part of the airfiled. Hogster or Steve Neale may remember more detail.
By rollo
Manx Flyers is owned by Ravenair, and is not exactly a typical flying club any longer. Suggest that you give them a call before planning a visit just to ask what their charges are.
http://www.manxflyersaeroclub.com/
One further tip. If you do fly over to the Island, it's worth refuelling at the Shell fuel farm on the opposite side of the airport as Ravenair's prices are higher!
By Jodelman
buzzman wrote:It was very windy when we left and I'm told that's not uncommon for IOM but they do have 3 runways so you should find one into wind most days.

Sadly now only 2 runways - 03/21 and 08/26.
By Flyin'Dutch'
TAF: Grey and rain
METAR: Grey and rain
By Dave Phillips
:) Yes, looking out that direction almost every day I fly, it is indeed a rare occasion when you don't see the Isle covered in cloud.

Manx Flyers is your best (least worse) bet, and then breakfast at the cafe. Just don't expect a smile from the waitress.
By johnm
Yes, looking out that direction almost every day I fly, it is indeed a rare occasion when you don't see the Isle covered in cloud.

Manx Flyers is your best (least worse) bet, and then breakfast at the cafe. Just don't expect a smile from the waitress.

Planning to stay over Easter so won't need the caff or waitress :) I'm going 'cos when I were a little lad lots of folk went there for their holidays and we only ever went to Blackpool :( so I've never been.

I shall however fly IFR so weather can be as grey and rainy as it likes as long as the fog is high enough 8)
By Jodelman
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:TAF: Grey and rain
METAR: Grey and rain

Not always, last Friday and Saturday were days with an almost cloudless blue sky, excellent visibility and a very light wind. Sunday, however......... :(
By blueup
Ravenair handling about £30.00 landing fee about £18.00 single engine.
By johnm
Well I used Manxflyers as owned by Ravenair and it didn't quite work as expected!
I made all the arrangements by email and didn't actually talk to a human and that turned out to be a mistake. When we arrived there was no-one there and we ended being handled by a bloke from the IoM who was visiting Liverpool at the time.

I did eventually get hold of Ravenair in Liverpool to complain and they could not have been more helpful. They clearly have a bit of an issue with the level of resource they can afford to deploy at Ronaldsway relative to the revenue from light aircraft handling and they'd had somebody leave at short notice and had to appoint someone local to hold the fort and it wasn't very tidy.

So the lesson for me and others going to Ronaldsway is do the paperwork by email by all means but make the detailed arrangements human to human by phone. It should then be fine.