Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By BlackheathBloke
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm off there on Saturday to watch Wales v England.

No PPR is required, and parking and all landing fees can be paid at Cardiff Aeros (which closes at 5.30 during the week and at weekends it depends on who's flying as to how late they stay but again minimum 5.30)

Take a print of the VFR approach routes from the website (or check they're in your flight guide) and give Cardiff radar a call before entering their airspace. Let them know you're parking on the South Side and they'll clear you at the correct exit from the runway after landing.

Landing Fee is a few pennies over 25 quid, first 4 hours parking are included, and it's then 18 quid per 24 hours. (Prices for a Warrior)

The South side is less than a 10 minte walk to Rhoose station (which appears to have 1 train an hour to Cardiff Central, via Barry) and when you're returning from Cardiff there's an airport bus that waits for the train and he'll happily drop you off at the bottom of the road to reduce your walk to 3 or 4 minutes.

Aeros have a fuel bower (was £1.91 over the weekend)

ATC are helpful, although be prepared to orbit if they have anything heavy on final (they don't get a great deal of scheduled stuff)
Last edited by BlackheathBloke on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By GrahamB
Make sure you clarify the hours of access. Cardif may be open 24x7, but Aeros shut at 5pm IIRC.
By joe-fbs
We visited Cardiff yesterday to collect a friend from the city. What an excellent friendly and sensibly priced full-service airport.

Procedure pretty much as described seven years ago by Blackheath Bloke. Aeros like that you call them especially if you need something, such as fuel. However, its is very much preferred that you telephone the tower before setting out so that they have your details and ETA. When we arrived, the ATCO was a touch stressed by several VFR arrivals simultaneously and unbooked (including us, emailing details to Aeros then telephoning them does not inform ATC). The VFR routes are well marked with obvious ground features and SkyDemon makes it very easy by overlaying the AIP page onto its display (other VFR tablet software is available).

A VFR arrival PA28-161 (1107 kg IIRC) and up to four hours parking was £20. Bargain.

Taxi into the city was £30 so a treat for this special occasion rather than a normal process.

We didn't look at the upstairs cafe with its balcony overlooking the airfield but there seemed to be local families there looking at the aeroplanes which is a good sign.
By mathers_wales_uk
Global Trek Aviation who provide ground handling support for VIP are offering a reduction of fees for aircraft up to 2 Tonnes at Cardiff effective 1st September 2023.

Global Trek Aviation are the only supplier of AVGAS 100LL on the airfield and will offer you full range of services at a discounted rate of £20. Global Trek Aviation also operate their own Jet A1 fuel bowser.

This includes Meet & Greet on arrival, full use of the climate controlled VIP Executive Jet Centre with complimentary tea/coffee and access to WI-Fi.

The team can also coordinate transport on arrival and recommend some local restaurants.

You may not be aware that Flight Plans are now mandatory into Cardiff and Global Trek Aviation will also file your flight plan for you on request at no additional cost.

Free handling for aircraft up to 2 Tonnes is still available via aeros however Global Trek Aviation are available H24 on request.
GrahamB, rdfb, Iceman liked this
By Iceman
@mathers_wales_uk, I take it that the £20 doesn’t include the landing fee ?

Iceman 8)
By skydriller
I was guessing I didn't... but actually getting a service for paying handling fees has to be encouraged, no?

After all, usually "handling" is just a money grabbing exercise...
Iceman liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Are you based north side? i.e. Should we come to the terminal side to partake of your services, or go to the south (club) side?
By GrahamB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Are you based north side? i.e. Should we come to the terminal side to partake of your services, or go to the south (club) side?

A quick glance at their webste shows they are South Side.
By mathers_wales_uk
Iceman wrote:@mathers_wales_uk, I take it that the £20 doesn’t include the landing fee ?

Iceman 8)

I can confirm that the £20 doesn't include the landing fee.

Global Trek Aviation are offering some additional service including being met on arrival / coordinating tables at local restaurants / coordinate onward transportation should it be required and use of their spacious climate controlled Jet centre.

Also as Flight Plans are mandatory, Global Trek Aviation are offering to file flight plans for aviators who may not be comfortable in doing so themselves as ATC will no longer allow to book flight plans over the radio.

As mentioned the option is still available to use the Aeros Flying Club where there are no handling fees.
Iceman liked this
By mathers_wales_uk
skydriller wrote:I was guessing I didn't... but actually getting a service for paying handling fees has to be encouraged, no?

After all, usually "handling" is just a money grabbing exercise...

The option remains to utilise the Aeros Flying School to pay the airport fees (no frills option). Global Trek Aviation are extending the service levels that they offer to BizJet's to the GA community for a reduced fee.
By mathers_wales_uk
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Are you based north side? i.e. Should we come to the terminal side to partake of your services, or go to the south (club) side?

I can confirm that Global Trek Aviation are located on the South Side of the airfield. If you do wish to partake of these services then call ahead 01446 712 699 or via a quick e-mail cwl@globaltrekaviation.com
By carlmeek
Why is a flight plan mandatory? Not something most of us would do unless travelling out of country.
By G-JWTP
carlmeek wrote:Why is a flight plan mandatory? Not something most of us would do unless travelling out of country.

So that the ATCO doesn't have to write out a flight strip or manually enter your details into there system.

In fairness NATS, remember them, also used a similar system for CAS transits in the London area. It was web based, non mandatory, couldn't guarentee a transit through CAS and if memory serves me right you had to give them an hour+ notice. This, I am please to say was quietly dropped.

G-JWTP.

PS In complete fairness, I believe, the Channel Isles also tried something too, but dropped it after about an hour and a half.
By skydriller
G-JWTP wrote:So that the ATCO doesn't have to write out a flight strip or manually enter your details into there system.

Except of course when the system goes down, like it did the other day... :roll:
By mathers_wales_uk
carlmeek wrote:Why is a flight plan mandatory? Not something most of us would do unless travelling out of country.

Unfortunately that is something that is something that has been introduced by NATS I'm afraid. I am aware that they have upgraded their systems at Cardiff fairly recently and no longer use written strips.

It is written within the AIP that flight plans are mandatory and unfortunately VFR traffic are not exempt and neither are the military. ATC have not refused arrivals due to no flight plan however they have refused clearance as no information provided. They do not tend to accept flight plan details over the phone or radio.

This is a reason why Global Trek Aviation are also offering this service for those who want to visit Cardiff but my be put off by the requirement to file a flight plan.