Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By joe-fbs
Surprised to find no thread for Bembridge so here goes.

Visited last summer. Very pleasant and welcoming place with 800m+ hard runway and adequate cafe.

Main reason for this post, planning to go tomorrow (a Sunday) and both AIP and Pooleys say it is only open weekdays. However, I have just telephoned the tower and it is indeed open 0900-1800 at weekends. Also, departures (not arrivals) are allowed after 1800, it just becomes blind traffic calls.
By BlackheathBloke
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Joe, I'm planning a trip in there tomorrow as well.

Fingers crossed for some clearer weather.
By joe-fbs
No update after all, weather too bad across the Chilterns to get there today. IMC course starts September!
By BlackheathBloke
A lovely day down here in Bembridge, the crud stopped at the coast and it's very clear over the island.

£10 landing fee (you can pay online in advance if you want, quite a neat idea) or pay upon landing in the Aeroclub/cafe.

I'm sitting on the decking at the moment, using their free Wi-fi (they also have a Mac :shock: that you can use if you don't have your own laptop/PDA with you)

Seems quite relaxed at weekends, I didn't bother with the hi-viz and didn't get shouted at. Just about to head off to the beach so will see if the security guard is as much of an ogre as the legend would have me believe.

edit: I didn't have any problems with the security guard, but then I walked around the fenced off grass rather across it.

Nice bit of Bread Pudding before departure in the cafe, which was very busy with locals coming up for a cup of tea and a look at some of the arrivals and departures.

Less than a 10 min walk to Whitecliff beach, where I spent a very lazy few hours.
By malcolmfrost
Went there yesterday, 18th September, landing fee was £12.50 for a 172.The Apricot cake was excellent and a very friendly welcome, no yellow jacket issues. Visitors seem to park on line India. Obvious when you get there.
It was heaving (last sunny Saturday?) arrivals and departures every 2 min!
By BlackheathBloke
Now re-opened to visiting aircraft, PPR is required (07770 228852).

Make calls to Bembridge traffic on 123.25, all circuits are to the North of the field, to allow the gliders to use the South side.

£10 for a 2 seater, £12 for a 4 seater landing fee, honesty box is over at the gliding club next to the Propellor Inn.

Airfield info page

Crab & Lobster crab sarnie still very nice, although there's a detour on the cliff top walk as you get nearer to Bembridge due to a footpath collapse.
By VectisGliding
BlackheathBloke wrote:Now re-opened to visiting aircraft, PPR is required (07770 228852).

Make calls to Bembridge traffic on 123.25, all circuits are to the North of the field, to allow the gliders to use the South side.

£10 for a 2 seater, £12 for a 4 seater landing fee, honesty box is over at the gliding club next to the Propellor Inn.

Airfield info page

Crab & Lobster crab sarnie still very nice, although there's a detour on the cliff top walk as you get nearer to Bembridge due to a footpath collapse.

Bembridge Airfield now open to PPR (prior permission required)only when out of hours,however not required during the published operating hours. (See Airfield Information page for times).
www.eghj.co.uk
www.vectisglidingclub.co.uk
By neilgeddes
Hi, I was pleased to fly in and out of Bembridge today and all's easy. I phoned the Vectis Gliding Club ahead of time on 01983873051 for PPR (see http://www.vectisglidingclub.co.uk/html ... _info.html) and after landing left my £15 in an envelope through their letter box behind the pub. The runway's in good condition and the grass parking's ok; not waterlogged. You can eat at the pub (not but Mondays or Tuesdays) or weekdays at the Aero Club cafe / restaurant at the entrance to Britten-Norman (where we used to go to pay). Thanks to everyone concerned! Rgds, Neil
By BlackheathBloke
Nipped in for my first Crab sandwich of the season at the Beach Hut, struggled to finish it as it seems to ahve grown from last year, still very nice though.

Fees still reasonable at the airfield.

http://www.vectisglidingclub.co.uk/airfield_info.html

Fixed Wing

2 Seats 12.00

4 Seats 15.00

6 Seats and Light Twins £20.00

Overnight Parking £ 5.00 per night max £30 per week.

Heavy Twins eg Islander or more than 6 Seats eg PC 12 £40.00
Overnight Parking £10.00 per night max £60.00 per week.

Rotary
2 Seats £12.00
4 Seats £15.00
Overnight Parking £ 5 per night max £30 per week.
More than 4 Seats £20.00
Overnight Parking £10 per night max £60.00 per week.

Touch and go. £3.00

Still surprised to see people strolling across the middle of the runway after landing despite this:-

Walking across the runway £5 Please Walk Round
By BlackheathBloke
According to their Facebook page the Propeller Inn re-opened on the 8th July.

11am-11pm daily
Currently lunch menu 12-4 with a full menu going live shortly.

edit: judging by the photos it's had some money chucked at it and has been refurbished.
Last edited by BlackheathBloke on Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
By JonathanB
BlackheathBloke wrote:Still surprised to see people strolling across the middle of the runway after landing despite this:-

Walking across the runway £5 Please Walk Round

Saw someone do this again yesterday - but no-one to collect the "fine". Seems pretty stupid to me!
By mixsfour
BlackheathBloke wrote:According to their Facebook page the Propeller Inn re-opened on the 8th July.

11am-11pm daily
Currently lunch menu 12-4 with a full menu going live shortly.

edit: judging by the photos it's had some money chucked at it and has been refurbished.

Under new management, great food, been there twice now but note they're not open Mondays

Mick
By carlton007
This all sounds encouraging as not been there for about eighteen months and things seemed very much the opposite..

Next on list for a land away...

Happy spring flying to all.
By Flasheart
I'm hoping to pop in next week to Bembridge and the Propeller Inn, any recent updates on how it is there?