Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'd say take a chance and fly down anyway...depending on time, if the cafe's closed you can either go up the road to Morrissons which has a cafe, or the garden centre (I think they still have a cafe?) both about a 5 minute walk away. If you have more time, I'd recommend the Steamer Inn down on the front in Shanklin...perhaps book a taxi before setting off, or it's a 40 minute or so walk if you like walking and have the time!
By neilgeddes
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I'd say take a chance and fly down anyway...depending on time, if the cafe's closed you can either go up the road to Morrissons which has a cafe, or the garden centre (I think they still have a cafe?) both about a 5 minute walk away. If you have more time, I'd recommend the Steamer Inn down on the front in Shanklin...perhaps book a taxi before setting off, or it's a 40 minute or so walk if you like walking and have the time!

Thanks for your fast reply!
By Rob P
Cafe reported closed Feb 2012 in acrimonious circumstances.

Rob P
By dan_vector
Hi, can anyone update on the situation at Sandown? I'm planning to go down tomorrow afternoon. Anyone been down this week? Cheers.
By Dodo
Sandown is open as usual.

Certainly it was open today. Guy in tower was polite & helpful, as always, and we were marshalled to park by the signal square.

Runway in good nick , and taxiways OK.

It's a shame about Carla's cafe, as that was an asset, as was Carla herself. I hope it works out for her.

We walked to Morrisons and had a coffee in the cafe there, and bought a joint for Sunday lunch. (Good to have a purpose for a flight)

Only quibble with Sandown was the gents' toilets in the dilapidated portakabin which were horrible beyond description :-(
By joe-fbs
Sat outside at Sandown hoping that it would be a place to sit in a cafe and watch aeroplanes while the rest of the family plays golf. Sadly, as reported above, cafe still out of action, "you can probably scrounge a cup of tea from the tower" said the helpful Irishman with the based Thruster (I think it was he that gave me a lesson in it three years ago, nice fellow, odd aeroplane). Lots of other aeroplanes around but only the Thruster flying. Went to Morrisons to use the facilities. Tried to buy a paper in recompense but gave up after a long wait to pay, it seems to be a drop in centre for pensioners!
By Jodelman
Dodo wrote:Only quibble with Sandown was the gents' toilets in the dilapidated portakabin

A couple of weeks ago the Gents was in the building attached to the tower. Out of the door at the bottom of the tower, ninety degree left turn, through the doors, ninety degree right turn and the door to the gents is facing you.
By Mike M
Hi All
I'm hoping to go to Sandown tomorrow for the the first time in (literally) years. The phone is off the hook whenever I ring (and the flying club just rings). Is the airfield open? And how far is it to walk for a coffee at Morrisons (which seems to be the thing these days)?

Thanks

Mike M
By Paul_Sengupta
Mike M wrote:I'm hoping to go to Sandown tomorrow for the the first time in (literally) years. The phone is off the hook whenever I ring (and the flying club just rings). Is the airfield open? And how far is it to walk for a coffee at Morrisons (which seems to be the thing these days)?

Morrisons is about a 5 minute walk. Go out of the airfield entrance, turn left and it's up at the next roundabout. There's also apparently a cafe over in the garden centre on the other side of the main road from Morrisons. Or there used to be.

Morrisons here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=PO36+9PA&hl=en&ll=50.647596,-1.182672&spn=0.003721,0.010568&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=7.262053,21.643066&t=h&hnear=Sandown+PO36+9PA,+United+Kingdom&z=17

Actually that shows the petrol station, the store is just across the car park...

If you have a couple of hours, I'd recommend going down into Shanklin and going to one of the pubs on the front there. My favourite, after a local recommendation, is the Steamer Inn.

http://www.thesteamer.co.uk/

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=PO37+6BS&hl=en&ll=50.641024,-1.167297&spn=0.029774,0.084543&sll=50.644453,-1.169186&sspn=0.029772,0.084543&t=h&hnear=Shanklin+PO37+6BS,+United+Kingdom&z=14

You can walk there but it's a bit of a trek through a caravan park. It takes about 40 mins to walk there. Coming back there's a lift (used to cost £1 to go up or down) to bring you up - or will take you down if you're lazy! If you have a good few hours, a good walk is to walk down to Sandown, walk along the front to Shanklin, take the lift back up and walk back to the airfield. Of course whenever I've done it, I've done it the other way round - walk to Shanklin through the caravan park/holiday village, have lunch, have a stroll along the seafront to Sandown, then walk back up the hill to the airfield. There are buses from Sandown airfield down into Sandown but last time I went they cost over 2 quid a person and a taxi is only just over a fiver I think. If you're stuck for time, you can get a taxi to the Steamer Inn and back again, but I'd book in advance.
By Mike M
Magnificently comprehensive reply. Thanks Paul!
By Mike M
Just to close the loop (as it were): Sandown was indeed very much alive and welcoming. The chap in the tower was very helpful and the airfield café was open. As always, a smashing destination. One word of caution: the taxiway is very bumpy (runway fine).
Mike M
By malcolmfrost
Thank you for your enquiry regarding membership with Embassy Flying Club, Sandown, Isle of Wight.
In this hard financial climate it is good news we bring to all pilots visiting Sandown EGHN
We are currently charging £5 for membership, which is valid up to and including 31st December 2012. Membership of Embassy Flying Club entitles you to £5 landing fees (All aircraft types), over night parking is £5 per night.
I think you will agree, this represents outstanding value for money. Non members visiting Sandown are subject to a landing fee of £15 for Multi Engine, £12.50 Group A, £8 Microlight, £7 over night parking.
Our Café is open for light snacks and beverages.
All visiting aircraft are strictly PPR, please call 01983-402402.
Please print out & complete the attached Membership Form, and return to the address provided.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Regards
Embassy Flying Club

Just received this e mail, is it from one of our friends in Lagos, or is it for real? :D
By chevvron
Well someone at Fairoaks tried the phone number above several times on fri 9th and it came up as 'you have dialled an incorrect number'.