Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By norwich
Norwich is a lovely friendly airfield to visit... apart from one thing... the cost! (for most singles approx £40) but there is a way round this, if you are a member of one of the locally based clubs you can book in through them and pay the standard training rate. (approx £9 for a 150/152/PA38 for example)

I fly at the Norwich School of Flying (01603 403107) where tempory Membership (1 month) is available for £10 and Annual Membership costs £75, you can come and visit as often as you like in these periods. With plenty to see and do around Norwich and an excellent Bar/Restaurant you really should come and visit.

http://www.nsf.flyer.co.uk
By Joe Petroni
Agreed great destination, and when I flew in the other week, ATC couldn't have been more friendly, and this was despite the fact my radio was rubbish and my transponder was having a bit of an off day.

They really need to sort the landing fee issue out though. I was initially quoted £40, but ended up paying £8.81!
By PeteSpencer
norwich wrote:Norwich is a lovely friendly airfield to visit... apart from one thing... the cost! (for most singles approx £40) but there is a way round this, if you are a member of one of the locally based clubs you can book in through them and pay the standard training rate. (approx £9 for a 150/152/PA38 for example)

I fly at the Norwich School of Flying (01603 403107) where tempory Membership (1 month) is available for £10 and Annual Membership costs £75, you can come and visit as often as you like in these periods. With plenty to see and do around Norwich and an excellent Bar/Restaurant you really should come and visit.

http://www.nsf.flyer.co.uk

Quick question: Can I tell ATC when I'm en route to Norwich that I'm visiting the NSF/Western apron and get cheap/training landing fees?

Or do I have to agree this with NSF beforehand and join as a temp member, either beforehand or on arrival?

I haven't landed at Norwich for many years since they became anti-GA in their pricing structure but this may be a way round it.

Peter
By norwich
Peter,
Yes, you'd need to arrange this with NSF beforehand so they can book your details in with ATC and add your registration to our account. The membership doesn't need to be paid in advance and can be paid along with your landing fee on the day. (cheque or cash if under £30 total)
By ZuluMike
I certainly wish that I knew this beforehand, 15th October landed with PPR of course, advised to contact Skydrift Air Charter Handling Services who duly presented me with a bill for £81.00 incl VAT for a PA28. Made up of Landing fee £30 and handling £40. both plus VAT. A touch over the top methinks (actuall a total p*ss take) and absolutely no encouragement to return.
By PeteSpencer
norwich wrote:Peter,
Yes, you'd need to arrange this with NSF beforehand so they can book your details in with ATC and add your registration to our account. The membership doesn't need to be paid in advance and can be paid along with your landing fee on the day. (cheque or cash if under £30 total)

Can I get fuel at the western end or does this mean a trip to main apron and 'handling charges?'

I have no plans to visit Norwich anytime soon but would like to know if I ever need to get fuel if unavailable at usual source.

Peter
By cloudhopper
You'll probably want to ask NSF to call BP for fuel. If they are busy then you may have a bit of a wait, but they come to you.
By ROG
I phoned norwich yesterday---unless you know your way around the "airport charge ststem" you could end up paying all different amounts.

Could someone who knows the systems/charges let us know.

I spoke to the main area--he was talking £48 or similar--then spoke to saxonair--who said they want to encourage GA-he quoted something like £30 ---not exactly encouraging--you"d only pay that if you really had to go there.
GA may not bring in much--but with landing fees helping against fixed costs surely £15-£18 is better than nothing , and on my last visit it didn"t seem that the systems were overworked.
By Night Hawk
UPDATE....

6 months ago a new finace director came to Norwich Airport, and as a result you can no longer visit using the NSF route.

The only option open to you for cheapish landing and handling fee is to use Saxonair.com

Landing and Handling costs for a C172 as of 11th May 2010

£25.00 + VAT (free parking for 2 hours)
£19.80 + VAT (for 24 Hours Parking)

They say this is a NEW light aircraft Landing and Handling Package.

Thanks
NH
By connone
Flew in today. Great service from Saxonair - friendly and efficient.

No involvement with the main terminal or security. Taxi arranged whist we unloaded and arrived at the Saxonair lounge to collect us.

Good value at £20 + VAT for landing and handling for the Pup.
By tlowther
The overnight parking rate at Norwich has changed, so via Saxonair (who give a first rate service) the charges are as follows :-

Landing & Handling £ 25 + VAT
Parking (per 05.t) £ 3 + VAT per 24 hrs

The park & ride bus just up the road is £2 same day return to and from the city centre.
By Liam548
tlowther wrote:The overnight parking rate at Norwich has changed, so via Saxonair (who give a first rate service) the charges are as follows :-

Landing & Handling £ 25 + VAT
Parking (per 05.t) £ 3 + VAT per 24 hrs

The park & ride bus just up the road is £2 same day return to and from the city centre.

Saxonair have quoted me around £20 for landing fee and handling in a single. Seems reasonable to me..
By Geraint Pinches
Be careful about these standard £20 or £25 charges.

When I wanted to fly to Norwich about 6 weeks ago, landing at 8pm on a Friday evening, Saxonair told me that they closed at 6pm and, because handling was mandatory, they would charge an out of hours charge to stay till 8pm. This was quoted as £45 an hour.

Thus the actual charges for landing (in a PA28), 2 nights parking, handling and the out of hours charge (two hours at £45 per hour) came to over £120!
By Morgan
Went to Norwich in the SR22 for some instrument practice on Saturday morning. I believe the cost was approximately £55 for handling, landing and 2xILS.

The Saxonair facilities were very nice: corporate but comfortable. Plus they lay on free cans of coke, cookies and mint choccies. Load up on those and you can cover quite a bit of that handling charge ;)

All in, I felt it was reasonable value and I will definitely return - perhaps for a weekend. Norwich seemed completely dead so the fees seemed fair in terms of contributing to keeping the place operational!
By Merlin83b
I have a need to go to Norwich (!) in the next couple of weeks, and from Manchester, by far the best way is to drive to Liverpool and jump in the aeroplane. Hooray for GA proving a useful business tool!

I will need to be there for an evening, ideally departing at something like 2300. Any locals or anyone else know if that's feasible without paying for a Saxonair bod to sit there for 5 hours doing nothing?