Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By nadders
This thread copied from elsewhere as a useful reference for LFAT

My friend and I are planning to do a day trip to Le Touquet from an airfield not to far from Doncaster this Thursday.

I have done a search about this subject but nothing very up to date seemed to present itself.

It will be our first channel crossing (although not my friends first sea crossing) and was wondering if anyone could pass any recent useful information regarding such a flight ie best/quickest/easiest routes, any special procedures for entering French airspace, arrival procedures, landing fees, where to eat (away from the airport) etc.

It will be my first international flight since gaining my licence so I can't wait :D And if all goes well the door will open to many more in the future.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice offered.

Nadders
By Courtman
Right, oop norf is a tad vague but here goes.

1) Routing: Using Doncaster as the departure point I'd route to CRANWELL then CAMBRIDGE then EARLS COLNE then SOUTHEND then DOVER VOR then across the Channel to CAP GRIS NEZ. This avoids most of the controlled airspace and allows you to fly most of the flight at 3400' minimum. Cambridge-Earls Colne is a dog leg around Stansted, you may get a transit but I wouldn't be the house on it so plan around. Dover-Cap Gris Nez is the shortest crossing and you can go pretty high over it too.

2) VFR flight plan: File with your tower (if at Doncaster) or your unit, or thru AFPEx if your brave. Personally for your first trip I'd get an Air Traffic Unit to do it. Activate the flight plan when airborne - your Air Traffic Unit will do this automatically, but if its a FISO or A/G unit maybe not - then do it with London FIS. If in doubt as to whether its been activated, ask the tower.

3) Customs. Does the airfield you fly from need a GAR filling out? Check with the club. Doncaster has customs so probably not, but Sandtoft you'll need to notify customs in advance of your ETD and ETA, plus all passport details.

This applies in FRANCE too. Many French airfields don't have Customs on field. Le Touquet used to, but don't now. Check the French AIP plate for Le Touquet at this URL: French AIP, in the text is an email you have to give 2hrs notice to for Customs. Its dead easy to do, but also dead easy to forget. Every French airfield has different regulations as well it seems - Abbeville seems to be 4hrs notice, Lognes wanted 24hrs last year. French AIP is your source for all that and I can't recommend checking it enough.

4) On-board kit. You need a PLB and lifejackets. If your W&B permits take a liferaft too. Sounds overkill, but so is insurance 99% of the time. Your club should have this stuff or ask around the airfield, so long as you return it I'm sure you'll find someone who can lend you it.

5) Flying the flight. Dead easy really, nothing too complicated about it. I'd speak to Waddington, Cottesmore, Cambridge, Stansted, Southend then Manston who will give you a Basic Service to mid-channel then freecall you to Le Touquet Tower. After that all bets are off - listen carefully, keep a sharp look-out and expect to hear French aircraft calling - AND BEING SPOKEN TO - in French. Someone on here had a good French translation sheet, I can't find it right now but learning phrases such as "vente arriere piste trente-deux" (downwind runway 32 - my French is awful so this could be spelt well wrong!) are useful. Keep your calls clear to Le Touquet, you'll probably be asked to call at Boulogne then join either left-base for 14 or downwind right for 32. Thursday should be a quiet day, so you shouldn't have too much hassle from others joining.

6) Arriving at Le Touquet. On Thursday don't expect to see the follow-me man on his bicycle. Park up at the tower, leave your hi-viz vest in the aeroplane and stroll to the terminal. Pay your €24ish landing fee (steep for France but seeing as how most of their customers are Brits they charge British prices) and then either hire bikes, or get a taxi from outside the terminal. Taxi is €8 each way.

7) In town. Lots to see and do. Get a map in the terminal. The Marche Couvert (Covered Market) will probably be finished by the time you get there, but worth seeing the building. Get an ice cream from Koko on the High Street. We went to La Matisse last time, that was very nice - but so many restaurants you'll find a nice one without any difficulty at all.

8) Going home. Same way you came. The friendly folk in the terminal will file your flight plan and do your fuel (might be worth requesting it when you arrive, they'll do it ready for your return). After you take off Le Touquet Tower will ask you to report leaving the zone and as soon as you report that will say "You may leave my frequency - good bye". This leaves you with a minor dilemma - who to speak to now? Lille probably won't be interested, I tend to tune either London FIS or Manston who say hello and then ask you to report mid-channel. Once back in Blighty its the same route home.

As Alex Orlov says - simples!
Just one addition When you get a taxi into town, ask them to pick you up at whatever time you want to go back. Saves a lot of hunting for a taxi back to the airfield and delays if you can't find one.

Enjoy yourself.

DJ
By Fright Level
Even if you don't bother to book a return cab, just go back to the cab rank where they drop you off and there will be cabs there, or one along in a moment. There is an ATM opposite as well so you can pick up some Euro to pay if you don't have some to hand when you arrive.

I've been a couple of times in the last week or so and it's now 9 Euro each way. Bikes are 12 Euro for half a day each so not worth it compared to a cab.

In the UK we fly quadrantal rules outside controlled airspace, in France they fly IFR levels (semi circle) plus 500 feet, so coming in from the north, you can be at FL55/5500 feet over DVR and enter their TMA at that height too (although a gentle descent into Le Touquet means you will have prob left that altitude soon after mid channel anyhow.

Circuit height is a standard 1,000 AAL and Pooleys/Southern UK chart has you covered so you don't need to buy any French VFR stuff.

Don't worry about the sea fog warning from a VFR point of view, you can see it (fogged in) easily from your cross channel vantage point like a pool of milk laying in the inlet and over the airfield. Ground to the north and all the way up to Calais easily visible so you could divert there or return to a UK airfield if the sea fog rolls in.

On the day you can call their ATIS on +33 321 06 6284 just before you leave to get the latest weather (they don't report into the AFTN system so this is the only way to pick up the actual weather until you're close enough to hear the ATIS frequency).

Finally don't forget the email to customs (details in the guides).

Enjoy the trip, I often fly across the channel and despite it's passe reputation amongst cross channellers, I still think Le Touquet is great value for a day out.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Taxis: Simpler to get the taxi driver's card on the way into town and ring him on your mobile when you want a pick up.

Failing that there's a taxi rank at the top of Av Verger/Bvd Daloz (top of the road the Westminster's on.) You might get the lady with the smelly dog.

If there's a few of you and it's quiet the nice lady behind the desk at the airport might just run you into town in the airport minibus.

Peter
By Morley
Its a 20 minute walk and very pleasant through interesting suburbs and past some WWII stuff.
re the flight it's dead easy. Dont forget to bring your passports and fill in the gendec for the return flight. FPs are needed for both legs and will be closed by Le Took when you get there. You could ask for it to be closed just in case.

Talk to London info on the way and they'll ask you to report mid channel (probably). If you are under 300ft Lille info wont want to know. If you re on a flight level they might but again they might not. Le Took has an ATIS in both French and English and you can make all your calls in English but just to be polite I always start with bonjour and end with au revoir.

If you opt for the short crossing (Dover to Cap griz nez or some such) they will probably ask you to report at one of the reporting points on the plate (November usually) and join downwind.

Either way they are very helpful and are well used to UK pilots coming over.

During the flight haze might make the horizon appear barely visible so watch out you are remaining S&L. Its not a problem but pilots need to be made aware.
By Rob P
Damn!

Dragging this thread back on topic.

First call from overhead Boulogne Harbour used to be the norm inbound from the North

Rob P
By jollyrog
Even if you don't bother to book a return cab, just go back to the cab rank where they drop you off and there will be cabs there, or one along in a moment.

The last two times I've been, I've had real taxi trouble on the way back. This despite taking the driver's card and waiting at the rank. Leave yourself plenty of time. If it gets dire, ring the airport (make sure you have their number in your mobile). They're really helpful and will phone taxi companies for you.

Last time I did this, the airport staff told me that the taxi would be there in ten minutes, then the lady turned up in the airport minibus and collected us.

It's often easier to walk. Takes around 30 minutes.
By jollyrog
Also, print off the VFR approach chart from the French AIP. I heard some English pilots making fools of themselves a few weeks back by telling ATC that they didn't understand the VFR reporting points they were being given. I haven't heard ATC refer to them much but when it's busy they will. They're shown as one or two letters in a circle.

http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/frameset_aip_uk.htm
By spacon
I flew into L2K yesterday and it was a lovely day! The ATIS was in French when I listened to it mid-channel but called L2K Tower anyway and they were very helpful and very BUSY!!

I have noticed a 'electric' mini bus passing as we were walking into town fom the airport. In town, right next to the taxi stand, there is a bus stop for these electric bus, number 3 actually goes to the airport from town. As far as I know they are completely free of charge (I might be wrong). We just missed one and on a sunday they run every 30mins so did not fancy hanging around so took a taxi which cost us 9 euros.

One other observation made yesterday was -- UK are using the new NATS AFPEx but L2K are still using the old traditional paper flight plan forms? I asked if I can file with AFPEx then the receptionist said 'No, we only accept paper flight plan'. I thought was suppose to be used 'worldwide'?
By David Williams
spacon wrote:The ATIS was in French when I listened to it mid-channel

The ATIS usually alternates between French and, er, 'ow you say... Engleesh.
By Chilli Monster
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
spacon wrote:One other observation made yesterday was -- UK are using the new NATS AFPEx but L2K are still using the old traditional paper flight plan forms? I asked if I can file with AFPEx then the receptionist said 'No, we only accept paper flight plan'. I thought was suppose to be used 'worldwide'?

You can use it worldwide - if you have a wi-fi / mobile internet enabled laptop or netbook (or other access to the internet).

You either file via paper the way they do, or you sit at the table by reception, log on using your own computer and their wonderful (and fast!) free wi-fi and file your plan yourself.

After all - why would France adopt a NATS system?

The ATIS was in French when I listened to it mid-channel

Obviously training to be an Airline Pilot - they never listen to the whole thing either :wink:
By nadders
Thanks so much for everyones replies! Its all been really helpful!

We have a PLB and life jackets sorted. We are departing from Sandtoft in a PA28, to make things a little more transparent.

The French SIA website is excellent. Just downloaded and printed VFR approach plates off (noting reporting points) and will study these in great depth.

From what I can gather, in a nutshell, the following needs to happen.

1.File flight plan with Doncaster and get it activated once airborne.

2.Email Le Touquet before we depart with relevent details (at least 2 hours prior to arrival)

3.Fly selected route. We think we'll cross at Dover and track the French coast.

4.Land. Get fuel sorted for the return flight. File paper flight plan.

5.Get a bike/cab/walk into town and take in the sights. Eat!!!!

6.Return to airport. Depart, asking Le Touquet ATC to activate flight plan.

7.Take same route home.

Have I missed anything out?? :thumleft:

Nadders
By spacon
I was under the impression the AFPEx is a world-wide thing, maybe i am wrong.
When I was at Masstricht few weeks ago, they also use some electronic flight plan filing system, so no paperbase system. As we were having so much trouble with the system, at the end, we filed using the telephone.
By Delta Juliet
Have I missed anything out??

8 Claim your drawback, Worth having on a full PA28 tank.

Do book the taxi back as sometimes you cannot find one.

DJ