Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flew into Sleap today to take our aircraft for a 50-hour. Most delighted to discover that since we were using a business on the airfield there was no landing fee.

Air/Ground went above and beyond the call of duty helping everyone slot in seamlessly around an aerobatic competition in progress, and directing me all over the airfield in search of the right hangar which I had no clue how to find on my own!

Gorgeous cafe, up in the tower with airfields views and lots of people out on the lawn too.

Layout of the runways is a little odd, with only the one access -- everywhere else being a bit rough! Wasn't a hurdle though. One for a return visit even without the prod of a aircraft awaiting the engineer!
By Iceman
I popped in there last November on the way back from Liverpool. I would highly recommend the cafe to all food lovers, especially Sunday lunches.

Iceman 8)
By fishermanpaul
Dropped in for lunch today. Another recommendation from me. Very friendly and welcoming and the cafe has a balcony outside ideal for watching the activity whilst you do lunch.

The short hop from Sleap to Welshpool is worth it as well - stick below 1500', aim for the right hand of the two valleys and pretend you're a veeery slow, and slightly high, tornado pilot :lol:
By Chilli Monster
fishermanpaul wrote:The short hop from Sleap to Welshpool is worth it as well - stick below 1500', aim for the right hand of the two valleys and pretend you're a veeery slow, and slightly high, tornado pilot :lol:

I have a friend who lives on the south side of that valley, half way up the hill. The idea is to be no higher than level with the house, doing 140Kts - wonderful view :)
By mikehyatt
Any forumites actually based at Sleap? Am currently flying out of Carlisle but will be moving to Sleap in the next six months or so as moved down to Shropshire for work. Would be great to meet people who fly with the Shropshire AeroClub and find out a bit about the local area. Swapping Scotland for Wales landaways will be fun!
By Iceman
mikehyatt wrote:Any forumites actually based at Sleap? Am currently flying out of Carlisle but will be moving to Sleap in the next six months or so as moved down to Shropshire for work. Would be great to meet people who fly with the Shropshire AeroClub and find out a bit about the local area. Swapping Scotland for Wales landaways will be fun!

According to the 'Pilots and their Airfields' sticky thread, the following fly from Sleap, none of which are regular posters.

Gillian G
flyingwing
nje
MarkIX
Brocky

Iceman 8)
By Rob P
I visited on Friday. First time for many years. Flew in after hours, a nice gentleman called Nathan having phoned my lift and briefed him on after hours access. When I went back to the aircraft on the Saturday everybody was most helpful.

I'm just sorry I didn't get to try the cafe.

Next time perhaps. There certainly will be a next time.

Rob P
By SleapRequired
I am currently training at Sleap. It's a great little airfield with decent aircraft and excellent instructors. Apparently cafe will be closed from 24th January for one week for essential upgrades and then will reopen 31st January under new management. Come and visit if you can.

Would be really good to see a 'flyer' flyin sometime.

Give Nathan a call on 01939 232 882 for PPR.
By mikehyatt
Having had a far too long a break from flying, just got my currency and medical back and flying the lovely Tecnam 2002SP based here in Sleap. Any other active Sleap fliers around - I'd love to cost share and get some experience venturing into the landaway options. All my experience has been Carlisle and points north so the wild midlands and south are as yet an undiscovered country for me. Sadly mostly weekends only but some flexibility. Happy to go PA28 / C172 or the Tecnam... I'm not picky!
By Rob P
Dropped in here yesterday. The major innovation is a pager system for the caff. You can order at the counter, they give you a pager and you can sit happily in the sunshine waiting to be buzzed when the food is ready.

Rob P
Aerials, T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
Lots of interest while I was having my meeting (yes, aeroplane used for work for once)

All the usual spam cans, Pup and a Bulldog, a gyro thing, a big chopper, an Arrow T-tail. Plenty of pretty good circuits from the studes.

Rob P