Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By neilmurg
Can you tell me, does Southend have LH circuits for 06 and 24 and normally require a standard overhead join? I am expected to plan a route and land away for EGMC in the near future, thanks... (yes i will ring for PPR)
By Keef
Last time I was at Southend (admittedly a few months ago now), it was normally RH on 24, LH on 06, with Approach Control - so OHJs are a very rare occurrence. I think I did one, there, once, in about 1981.

If you are joining VFR from the south, you may be given a baseleg join, depending on what works best at the time.
By ROG
It varies---call approach--often now radar--same frequency at VRP or 10 miles out.
You will be given joining instructions---usually a downwind join or a base leg join--an overhead join is extremely rare--had one in some 35 years.YOU CAN LISTEN TO atis 136.05 to be pre-briefed for radio call.
ATC are very gentle with visitors.
By EGMCATCO
Just a quick update:
A new hotel (Holiday Inn) is open adjacen to the FBO. It has a restaurant on the fifth floor that overlooks the apron and runway for those who like to see what's going on airside (Tip: Ask for a table by the window). Website is at: http://www.hisouthend.com/

GA parking on the apron is now mainly on the North Apron (by the old radar), however if you ar just staying a short time it may be possible to park you on Stand 13 or 14, depending on those required for biz-jet parking.
FBO Hours are approx. 0830 - 2030 Local time. (Tel: no. is 01702 608125). There is now an xray/Security requirement for pilots going through to airside from here.
FBO Security is H24, if access is required outsid eof the FBO hours, then arrange in advance with the FBO.
Fuel is available H24 also.

Airport is available H24, with PPR (from ATC 01702 538420) for flights between 2300-0630 Local time; Freecalls still accepted inbound on frequency 130.775.

Car Rental desks available in Passenger Terminal, or through Southend Handling.

Handling is mandatory for all visting aircraft in excess of 2500 KG MTWA. (Tel: 01702 538595 or 01702 608150).

HI-viz jacket required whilst on foot airside, and GA pilots are to remain outside the Critical Part area on the main terminal stands.

ATIS is 136.050MHz, or Tel: 0871 789 1365

Landing Fee for below 1.5 Tonnes is £24 (£28.80 with VAT at 20%), other rates available from website: http://www.southendairport.com/airport- ... ns-of-use/
Last edited by EGMCATCO on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By mur007
I have been told that flying in to Southend is now, for obvious and understandable reasons, a much bigger deal than it was twelve months ago and that the layout has changed quite a bit. Is that the view shared by those who operate there? I am considering another visit but have not been since the new terminal opened. How different is it?
By roweda
If flying on a commercial flight with easyJet, Aer Lingus Regional/Aer Arran or OLT Express you will use the new Terminal located on the old Eastern boundary.

If arriving in a GA aircraft you will be parked on the Northern apron in the vicinity of stands 21/22. This is in the area of the self refuelling facility but this can only be used with a Southend fuel card. If you need fuel then you will need to request the bowser. You can do this on the radio when taxying in.

After parking you will need to walk to the FBO next to the old tower At the eastern end of the old terminal. High viz is mandatory for at least one member of the party. Keep a good lok out as this crosses taxiway C.

In the FBO you will be able to pay for parking, fuel, book a cab etc.

At the western end of the old terminal is Cafe Stobart which is pretty good.

When departing via the FBO, you will book out by filling in a slip. You can also file flight ans, check NOTAMs, weather etc. Internet PC and free WiFi also available.

All baggage and persons go through the same security checks as you would a commercial pax but there are no restrictions on liquids. If you have tools, suggest you tell them. Also make sure you have your PPL with you as this may be requested.

If you can avoid trying to depart around the commercials this will avoid delays.

Other than this nothing has changed!

Enjoy your trip.
By EGMCATCO
Cafe in the old terminal has been refurbished and change of operator, and has reverted back to it's previous name of 'Coffee Shop'.
Opening Hours are 7am to 4pm.
By EGMCATCO
Unfortunately, after giving it a go, the Coffee Shop in the Old Terminal will be closing from Sunday 12th May.

There is a Cafe in the 'new' terminal; McDonalds; The Lancaster Bar by the vulcan; and the Holiday Inn - so a variety of styles of food can be obtained.
By D Kean
I'm need to fly in to Southend and take the aircraft to Isenburg engineering - near the fuel farm I believe. Is there likely to be any problem with that and can I depart from there ?
Thanks
By roweda
Suggest you phone ATC before you depart to tell them (01702 538420) and upon first contact with Radar/Approach tell them you want to go Northside via Point Delta. Shouldn't be a problem. Contact FBO on 01702 608125 to arrange to pay landing fee or discuss with Richard in case he has a special arrangement.
By Hazel C
AHHH, makes me feel quite homesick (love the pic :lol: ) but if you don't like the caff, theres the Anne Boelyn just a short walk over Warners Bridge, or take a bus into Sarfend and you can sample the delights of fish and chips in The Arches cafes, Tomassis or have the truly exquisite luxury of a Rossis on the seafront :wink:

Spoken as a true Sarfend (well, Leigh) ex-pat