Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By sparks-flying
Called in to Caernarfon today to find their old building closed.

They have now moved into newly built premises. I have to say it is excellent.

I think I got the first Breakfast.

Well worth a visit :D :D :D
By MrSoapsud
Indeed the new building is open and is an awful lot nicer than the old!

Can get busy nice weekends - PPR requested 01286 830800. If 02/20 in use there's a backtracking procedure - enquire when booking in if you're not familiar with it.

Caravan site on final for 26 is somewhat disconcerting!
By Merlin83b
Still a great place to visit - was practicing NDB holds overhead at 2,500ft last Friday along with a couple of unofficial NDB approaches.

It saves times if 2 or 3 backtrack at the same time down 20.
By MrSoapsud
Good tip on backtracking from Merlin. Another tip is if you fly in on a busy weekend and want fuel, get it when you land, before you park up. Often people leave getting fuel till they want to leave and then find there's a queue at the pumps.

Talk to Valley (125.225) on the way in during the week and stay below 1500' along the Menai Straits if you're coming in that way (again during the week when Valley's open) or you might meet a hawk heading for home from the Ogwen Valley.
By SteveN
Very nice Phoughmans at their new Cafe yesterday (Saturday). In fact the food all looked very good and served with a smile. Another aircraft in our little gaggle from Glos found the refueller was a bit grumpy but not to detract from the rest of the experience. Well done Caernarfon.

Steve
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For those with fold up bikes, a nice meal and delightful surroundings can be found in the nearby village pub at Llanwrog
By MrSoapsud
flybymike wrote:For those with fold up bikes, a nice meal and delightful surroundings can be found in the nearby village pub at Llanwrog

I'm guessing you mean The Harp in Llandwrog (clan-du-rog)
By MrSoapsud
MrSoapsud wrote:Talk to Valley (125.225) on the way in during the week ....

... but not at the weekend. They're usually closed and going by what I've been hearing recently, they've asked not to be disturbed when they're closed - there are still people there at the weekend operating the SAR service. A number of people yesterday (Saturday) announced on leaving Caernarfon's zone that they were changing to Valley, only to be asked not to by the A/G operator.
By neilgeddes
Hello, I may make my first flight into Caernarfon soon and am looking forward to seeing the castle and Welsh scenery! I'm planning to cross West from around Welshpool towards Aberdovey and then up and around the coast. Should I speak to Valley before Caernarfon? Are there any airfield issues to note? Yes I will phone for PPR and a briefing.

Also, any hotels or B&B recommendations in Caernarfon? Cancelable of course!

Thank you.
By MrSoapsud
neilgeddes wrote:Hello, I may make my first flight into Caernarfon soon and am looking forward to seeing the castle and Welsh scenery! I'm planning to cross West from around Welshpool towards Aberdovey and then up and around the coast. Should I speak to Valley before Caernarfon? Are there any airfield issues to note? Yes I will phone for PPR and a briefing.

Also, any hotels or B&B recommendations in Caernarfon? Cancelable of course!

Thank you.

Weekdays talk to Valley if you can - coming from the south it will depend on how high above the coast you are. Also on weekdays, watch out for very fast pointy things going to/coming from Valley!!

Weekends, you should be in range of Caernarfon Radio at least around Porthmadog if not further south.

Main airfield issue at the moment that I'm aware of is the building of wind turbines near the 20 end of runway 02/20. This makes it unlicensed at best and closed at worst depending on the location of contractors. Hence PPR is a very good idea at the moment. If there's a strong northerly or southerly blowing then landing on 08/26 can be "interesting".

No experience of accommodation in Caernarfon. There's the nice Celtic Royal Hotel and a Premier Inn (or similar) along with sundry other stuff.

HTH
By SteveN
Nice trip to Caernarfon today.

We used the following taxi service.

M R Private hire
01286 831867 / 07785 521571

£20 for 4 of us to from the airport to the town square.

Food at the Black Boy Inn was very good and they also cater for allergies.

http://www.black-boy-inn.com/home.htm
By UncleT
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Having a few (non-flying) days away with family in North Wales this week. They fancied a walk on the beach so, me being me, I drove them to the beach by Caernarfon Airport, giving me a chance to see what was going on and visit the cafe for drinks and a snack.

I have been inspired to write a post about this purely because of the quality of the cakes on offer. Lemon Drizzle, Date Slice and Coffee and Walnut were sampled by members of the party and all were excellent, with plenty of other options available that looked equally good. Well worth a visit for those alone.
MrSoapsud, Rob P V2.0, Paul_Sengupta and 1 others liked this