Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Steven Day
Popped into Prestwick this weekend, after failing to get into Oban with its 'soft' weather.

Prestwick has a huge runway, the largest commercial strip of tarmacadam in Scotland - and is GA friendly. Loads of golf and Glasgow nearby too.

Basic landing fee for PA46 was £14.10. Given most commercial airports don't want to know these days, this is a genuine bargain. And Prestwick is refreshingly keen to attract VFR and IFR traffic. Its ILS for 31 also turned out to be rather handy.

We used Ocean Sky's brilliant FBO. There are others on the field, (I gather the Prestwick Flight Centre is cheapest and simplest) but Ocean Sky was outstanding and worth every penny of the £30 handling charge.

http://www.oceansky.com/live/en/jetcentres/prestwick.php

The staff and service were great - honestly, they really couldn't do enough for us. I called them up out of the blue while on downwind on 130.075, they had a Follow Me vehicle out to meet us as we landed, a hire car booked, and us in the lounge and the plane debagged within a couple of minutes of shut down.

On the way out this afternoon, the weather and notams for our flight to Gloucestershire were given to me on walking into the building, and tea and biscuits served, again by the time I got the kids into the lounge. For us, a family of four, the £30 was really worked out at £3.75 per person per visit. You can spend that on a fancy coffee in an airport terminal these days. But it won't buy you personal service, space, peace and a place to get the family sorted before a flight.

If you're travelling the West Coast of Scotland do give them your support. It's rare to find such an enthusiastic pro-GA and reasonably-priced gem of a service among the bigger airports.
By Boecopter
the largest commercial strip of tarmacadam in Scotland

Not quite, Campbeltown is about 60metres longer...But both still more than adequate!
By David Curley
Problem with EGEC is it shuts on friday teatime and does'nt open til Monday morning, How unfriendly to GA is that ?

Plus I heard they had no fuel..
By ivorphillips
I totally agree with Steven,
Having been to Prestwick four times in the last two years, I have found them very Accommodating, ATC is first class and Ocean sky is the best FBO i have ever used, Prices are reasonable for a large airport,
By tlowther
I've just checked with Oceansky (as i'm heading that way in a week or so) and the charges are as follows:-

Airport landing fee 10 GBP
Airport Nav fee 10 GBP
Ocean sky handling fee 20 GBP
Parking is free for the first 24 hrs.

We are also the sole provider of AVGAS 100LL should you require this.

I also checked with Signature at GLA and its a cool £157 (inc VAT) for landing, handling & 4hrs parking.

Prestiwck it is then (the train to Glasgow is about £11 return) !
By Final Approach
tlowther wrote:I've just checked with Oceansky (as i'm heading that way in a week or so) and the charges are as follows:-

Airport landing fee 10 GBP
Airport Nav fee 10 GBP
Ocean sky handling fee 20 GBP
Parking is free for the first 24 hrs.

We are also the sole provider of AVGAS 100LL should you require this.

I also checked with Signature at GLA and its a cool £157 (inc VAT) for landing, handling & 4hrs parking.

Prestiwck it is then (the train to Glasgow is about £11 return) !

That matches with the quote I got from OceanSky last week for a Lance, I found them to exceptionally friendly and helpful when I spoke to them.

I wasn't aware of the fact that they were the only provider of AVGAS, however. If you want AVGAS, does this mean you have to go to OceanSky for full handling or can you obtain it without the handling fee? Does anybody know if they deliver it to, say, for instance, Prestwick Flight Centre?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
All well worth knowing for forays up the west coast / diversions.

Iceman 8)
By Dodgy Reckoning
Visited Prestwick twice this weekend and can't add much to what's already been said. Great place, huge runways and football scores on the tower frequency. We used Prestwick Flight Centre and they were happy to see us, offered tea & coffee, flight briefing facilities and were happy for my passenger to leave his car there for the weekend. Landing fee £16.00 per visit.

Only draw back to PFC in summer months is that they close at 5pm sharp.

DR
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Prestwick Flight Centre have concessionary rates.

Sadly, I can't tell you what they are, as on 23 July I apparently and mistakenly called Prestwick Aviation Services to book a refuel, and they charge full whack.

For a 740kg aircraft, I was charged:
Aircraft Handling Charge: £30.00 + VAT
Aircraft Navigation Charge: £20.00 + VAT
Standard Weight Charge: £20.00 + VAT

The total bill, excluding fuel, was £84.00 inc. VAT

So: Ring the correct organisation!

However: The service was very efficient, in that I took 100 litres of fuel and the engine was only stopped for exactly 20 minutes before I started up again to depart.