Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By The Westmorland Flyer
I flew into Blackpool over the weekend and would just like to say that it really was a pleasant experience, much much better than several years ago when I last visited.

GA access is simplicity itself, although on arrival it's a little confusing. On the east end of the fire station there is a gate from air side to ground side with a push-button to open it from air side. You go through that and keep turning left, all the way round the fire station until you get to the GA "portacabin". A simple map on the wall by the push-button would reduce confusion. Once there the facilities are excellent, with free tea/coffee, flight briefing facilities and a small lounge. Departing, you simply report to the GA suite and book out from the briefing room. No need to call for start up, just call ready for taxy. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

Landing fees for the Sportcruiser (600kg MAUW) were a little more than I'd have liked at £18.33 inc VAT but one can't really complain for an airfield with full ATC, plenty of toys and good facilities.

So, I'd like to say thanks to KNT754G and his colleagues for making Blackpool a GA friendly airfield once again. I am sure I shall be back.
By grahamwhittle
The tips about contacting a local flying school is interesting I haven't tried that. I flew there last week. The text in the AIP is out of date. PPR is no longer necessary, if you file Blackpool as an alternate you do not need to arrange with a handling agent if under 5tonnes; and the telephone numbers for Blackpool Handling and ATC are incorrect. I agree that the new security arrangements and ops room are excellent. Great golf nearby and good restaurants in Lytham.
By CaptFlameRate
A bit of a warning for anyone using Blackpool and using one of the flying schools for parking. I flew in on Sunday and used Flight Academy to park (I used to fly their aircraft) after filling with fuel. FA could take my landing fee, but not my fuel fee, so I paid my landing fee and wandered around to the GA building to pay for fuel, only to discover that I couldn't pay for fuel there either!

Apparently, the ops system needs you to pay for landing and fuel together else you must pay for fuel at the fuelling office - so I wandered back to FA and then round to the airside fuellers office; fortunately there is a shortcut else I'd have had to take the plane round and back to park! There was then another minor delay as a 737 needed filling so no-one could take my payment.

For me this wasn't a big issue - I was in no hurry, and it was a nice day, but spending almost an hour trying to pay for fuel will not be to everyone's taste, especially if in a hurry. I don't think I've ever struggled so much to give a company £220 of my hard-earned!

Aside from that, though, it was a good trip - nice weather, every staff member was friendly, ATC were efficient and polite, and several taxiways have been resurfaced recently. Thumbs up from me!
By KNT754G
CHEAP LANDING FEES

Throughout July, August and September 2011 a discount of 50% off one landing fee will be given to single engine aircraft uplifting 50 litres (or more) of AVGAS and paying on the day.

I know there are concerns regarding the location of payment facilities for fuel/landing but I am asured that the GA OPS office is now staffed all the time so should all be in one place.

If this scheme appears to be bringing in traffic we may make it permanent.

"loyalty scheme" being discussed, I will post further details as we get that up and running.

I am also going to try to get a scheme set up to allow 10% discount at Subway (300 yards up road) on presntation of a landing fee receipt with that day's date, watch for details.
By Windjammer
emmccan wrote:What about discount for us jeta1 guys?

You can just wait till Waddington and get a tank of free fuel like the rest of us!!! :lol:
By KNT754G
insufficient profit on JETA1 for it to be worthwhile I'm afraid
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Can we get landing fees 'normalised'? My aircraft has a MTOW of 1066kg, so I hate this "charging by the 500kg" or tonne thing. Why not have one charge for light singles? Perhaps a cheaper rate for microlights. My friend Martin's 170 and earlier 172s have a MTOW of 998kg! I have to pay 50% more at some places (and pretty much all of Scotland!).

The very similar Beagle Pup is in the lower category.
By rosewellian
I commend Blackpools landing fee reduction promotion but why no incentive to attract light twins? It would be of interest to me.
By KNT754G
I am working on it, they are slightly afraid of risking giving discounts to small end exec charters.

Paul S, there has to be some basis for the charging structure, sure some places charge a flat rate but many charge by weight (MAUW). As airports with international jet traffic go Blackpool is way down the league table for landing fees, we are actually quite cheap and no handling. Precious few destinations can claim all of that.
By CaptFlameRate
KNT754G wrote:CHEAP LANDING FEES

Throughout July, August and September 2011 a discount of 50% off one landing fee will be given to single engine aircraft uplifting 50 litres (or more) of AVGAS and paying on the day.

Perhaps someone should tell the ops staff this :(

Flew in today and uplifted 51l of AVGAS, and then recalled this post. So I was a little disappointed to be charged the full fee (£23.48+VAT), only to be met with blank stares when I enquired about the discount.

In the grand scheme of things, £14 isn't exactly a game-changer on top of 51l of AVGAS so it wasn't really an issue; it was just a bit of a disappointment when the rest of the BLK experience was so good today!
By KNT754G
I will pursue that one for you CFR.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A warning about Flight Academy.

I went in to Blackpool today as a passenger accompanying another PPL. The service was pleasant and efficient enough, but a bit disappointing that no food was available. Apparently they've stopped doing it as there was no demand.