Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Steve H
Massena is just across the Canada / St Lawrence border almost opposite Cornwall (in Canada) and as such, it is a really good place to clear US customs if inbound from Canadian airfields, like Kingston, Ottawa or Montreal.

Massena plate

At Massena, customs and homeland security expect you to pull up at the main terminal building halfway along runway 05/23 and will meet you there. Note that this building is normally deserted and locked and is of no use to you otherwise as all of the fuel and briefing facilities are at the cluster of buildings and hangars located at the threshold of runway 09.

Main terminal, normally deserted and locked

Inbound and outbound, you would normally be speaking to Boston Center on 135.25. Once in sight of the airfield, give position calls on the CTAF of 123.0.

The airfield is easy to fund and is a couple of miles south east of the town center. It is easy to locate as it is between two rivers.

Massena - On high final for 05

It is the usual ‘self-announce’ of positions and decide your own runway. Unless clearing customs, you can taxi across to the GA fuel and briefing rooms at the threshold of runway 09.

Fuel station near threshold for 09

Fuel is self-service and fairly straightforward with a credit card (I looked helpless and someone appeared and helped out). Briefing is in an otherwise deserted room in one of the hangars. There is internet access, but more importantly, a telephone for calls to the wonderful 1-800-WX BRIEF, where you can get and do everything!

Customs and Homeland Security

Note that the US border crossing procedure is VERY fussy and prescribed. Amongst other things, you need to call in advance and fax a form through, arrive within a stated 15 minute slot (hence you will typically want to clear US customs close to the US border) and if you are British, you need a visa to fly as a private pilot and enter the US.

If you do clear US customs using Massena, I suspect they WILL come out to the airfield and interview you (they did with us). If you arrive ahead of the started time, DO NOT exit your aircraft until and unless US Customs officials beckon you to do so. If no one has arrived by the stated time, only then can you get out, but immediately call the US Customs number and see if they are coming out to you and if not, get verbal clearance and take and record the US Customs officials badge number.

Be prepared for a frosty reception and lots of really stupid, closed questions (Is this your plane? How long have you know each other? What is the nature of your relationship? Do you have a pilots licence? Do you know what the president’s dog is called – OK, I made the last one up, but you get the idea!). Just answer the questions, don’t be tempted to embellish or be funny!
Last edited by Steve H on Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
and if you are British, you need a visa to fly as a private pilot and enter the US.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your "guide to US airports"!! But out of interest, what kind of visa?

Can you not enter under the new Visa Waiver scheme, or whatever its now called as you have to register details in advance etc...

Regards, SD..
By Steve H
Skydriller

Sorry, I'm not sure about [i[ixactly which type [/i]of visa, as I travel on my Canadian passport, so it doesn't apply to me. But I DO know for certain that you cannot cross the border in a light aircraft under the visa waiver programme if you are travelling on a UK passport - it has to be a proper visa issued in advance (not certain which type as I said).

I had a hilarious call from US customs just as I was getting in the plane along the line of 'we notice you have a UK address, are you British' - No, I am canadian, I just live in the UK at the moment. 'Do you have proof of Canadian citizenship?' errr.... yes, would a current passport do? '...and you say you are Canadian' etc. for a further minute of increasingly pythonesque question.

He eventually warned me that if I turned out to be British, without a visa they would turn me back - he just didn't understand that you can live somewhere else!
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
[quote='Steve H']He eventually warned me that if I turned out to be British, without a visa they would turn me back - he just didn't understand that you can live somewhere else![/quote]

As a Brit living in France, I know exactly what you are talking about !! Had the same thing with the questioning prior to getting a commercial flight, and its odd as they are a country of immigrants too!!