Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Has anyone flown into Newcastle in recent times? I have a friend that lives up there and I thought it might be fun to fly up.

From: https://www.newcastleairport.com/media/ ... jan-22.pdf

... it looks like for an aircraft between 500kg and 1 tonne, there's a:

- minimum landing fee of £35,
- runway movement charge of £7.72
- navigation service charge of £5.90
- parking £8 per day

All plus VAT, so a little under £90 for three days.

An expensive trip including the flying, even compared with the astronomical cost of train tickets these days. But it still quite appeals.

Any experience going there in a light single?
By TopCat
Gas Guzzler wrote:
> No, but give Eshott a try, 30 miles north of Newcastle

Nice idea, and I've heard good things about it, but I'd need to make my own way to Tynemouth. The Metro goes practically to my mate's doorstep from the airport.

I might well look in there on the way back - wasn't someone from here learning to fly there?
By AndyR
Is handling not compulsory too?

Not flown there in a single, only a twin. The NIAL document linked to refers to based GA operators but not visiting as far as my swift read of it tells me.

Try calling ATC or call Samson Handling and ask. There always seem to be gotchas these days when operating in and out of regional airports.

Samson is on 0191 286 4156
Or ATC 0191 214 3250

If you can get away with £90 for 3 days I reckon you’ve done very well.
TopCat liked this
By Rjk983
It may seem like planes trains and automobiles but have you considered travel from Eshott to Tynemouth? Not as difficult as it may look on the map.

Taxi from Eshott to Morpeth (20 mins) train Morpeth to Newcastle (worst case 15 mins on the train and its a regular service) then metro to Tynemouth, about 45 mins depending on which route you go..

Newcastle airport metro to Tynemouth takes around 55 mins with the change at either south gosforth or monument. But you would have to check that the handling agent will get you to the metro station.
By TopCat
Rjk983 wrote:
>
> Taxi from Eshott to Morpeth (20 mins) train Morpeth to Newcastle (worst
> case 15 mins on the train and its a regular service) then metro to
> Tynemouth, about 45 mins depending on which route you go..
>

Actually, that's very helpful, thanks. I hadn't considered getting the train in from further out. I'll look into that further.

:thumleft:
By TopCat
A le Ron wrote:
> I last flew to Newcastle several years ago, but I recall a searing pain in
> the wallet which lasted until the next payday.

Yes, I found another thread from 2014 that suggested handling was mandatory at Newcastle. I'll be contacting them to check, but I'm losing my initial naive enthusiasm. :roll:

Barstewards, these regionals, making it so expensive :evil:
By T6Harvard
TopCat wrote:
> Gas Guzzler wrote:
> > No, but give Eshott a try, 30 miles north of Newcastle
>
> Nice idea, and I've heard good things about it, but I'd need to make my own way to
> Tynemouth. The Metro goes practically to my mate's doorstep from the airport.
>
> I might well look in there on the way back - wasn't someone from here learning to fly
> there?

It was EditMonkey who disappeared from the FF around last Sept.
By TopCat
My grateful thanks to @Gas Guzzler and @Rjk983 for the advice to use Eshott rather than Newcastle.
I flew up last Thursday, came back Saturday, and didn't even need to get the train, as my mate came out to pick me up, and took me back.

Excellent sandwiches, very friendly people, landing a tenner and likewise hangarage a tenner a night.
600m of decent tarmac in good condition, care required getting on and off the grass but no drama.

Thoroughly recommended, even if I was a bit stiff getting out of the aircraft after 2.5 hours from White Waltham.

Oh, and in case it's helpful to anyone, it turns out that the 'E' in Eshott is pronounced as in Egg, not as in Email. Though I expect I'm the only dimwit that didn't know...
Rjk983, T6Harvard liked this