Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I flew into Welshpool - I think for the first time ever - a couple of weeks back (I have a vague memory of going as pax with 2Donkeys in the dim and distant past).

The scenery on the way was lovely, the welcome was friendly, and the 80p can of diet coke out of the machine (take your old pound coins, folks - it's free drinks if you have one!!) was, well, coke-like.

Had there been food as well, wow! Go there, folks, it's really nice.
GrahamB liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
That looks nice, will have to put it on my list of first places to go one my aeroplane is in permit again.

Last time I went to Welshpool was with a load of forumites...we had food laid on which was nice - my sort of food, baguette stuff.
GrahamB liked this
By GrahamB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Last time I went to Welshpool was with a load of forumites...we had food laid on which was nice - my sort of food, baguette stuff.

Yes, that was me raiding Tesco at 8am that morning before they'd sold all the decent ones. :D
By GrahamB
Well, I've been in today and chatted to the proprietors Gerry and Pat - who are the couple who run Whizzard Helicopters.

Between them and Linda Jones, who owns the airport, they've made a significant investment to try and liven the place up, and make it more of a destination. There is seating for about 30 indoors, and the about same again outside on the decking, and it's all fitted out with brand new IKEA tables and chairs - the economy stuff, but nevertheless tasteful and welcoming.

The menu is limited at the moment, teas, coffees, panini, sandwiches, baked potatoes, cake (yes, cake) and a few wrapped biscuitty things, but Gerry wants to build up slowly through the summer as the word gets round and the demand increases - the kitchen has been equipped to cater real food. The coffee is now decent from a real barista type jobbie - so no more Nescafe instant granules from a sachet.

I do encourage you to all to come and support it - it was bloody gorgeous sitting out on the decking there this afternoon in the sun - and help Gerry and Pat develop it further.