Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Very friendly airfield indeed, easy to find in the Usk Valley and an easy destination for most places in Southern UK.

660m of well-kept grass. Landing fee is a donation to the upkeep of the airfield, and a very tidy chalet hut provides the makings for tea and coffee if required. Ask Frank, the owner, to show you his self-designed and built aircraft tug - just the job for rough ground.

If you want a (lot!) more than a cuppa, The Hardwick is a serious foodies' establishment less than 5 minutes walk from the aircraft parking.

It's only about half an hour (at 90 knots) from me, and I feel I've missed out by not visiting before now. :)
By Derryn
Another vote for Abergavenny. I'd been meaning to check it out for a while now and finally got the chance last month.

Nice little strip in a beautiful part of the country with an interesting approach down the valley. Very friendly - As I walked into the hut I basically had a cup of tea thrust into my hand and ended up hanging around for about an hour just chatting to the locals. I didn't get time to try the gastro pub across the road, but it comes recommended by Mr Michellin so probably needs prior booking on weekends. Will plan to have a bit of a lunch fly-in at some point.

Strip has a sizeable hill in the middle, enough to help slow you down after landing, but steep enough on the western end that you may need a bit of power to taxi up if you land short and slow. Makes it interesting without being particularly challenging. PPR the number in SD, so you can use that to ask Frank about the approach etc.

Also, at risk of stating the obvious, no fuel available.

Last edited by Derryn on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes a nice welcome from Frank and an offer of tea or coffee.

The Hardwick does a very nice lunch but allow enough time to sit and enjoy it.

Nick.