Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By CaptChaos
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We were at Sywell yesterday and the tower and refuelling team were excellent, friendly and very helpful. I believe you can use the pumps with a credit card out of hours as well which is a great boon for a late arrival/transits. It is a great place and just a shame the food service at both outlets is rather disorganised and slow but still pretty friendly. Get that addressed and it would be 5* all round.

Thanks to everyone there for being so helpful.
By Zaphod
Does anyone know what's happened to the Pilot's Mess, and if/when it might reopen?
By TLRippon
Zaphod wrote:Does anyone know what's happened to the Pilot's Mess, and if/when it might reopen?

Apparently the Pilots Mess is run on a franchise basis and they are currently without a franchisee. One is being sought though. In the meantime the food and cakes in the hotel are quite nice. Alternatively there is a family pub/restaurant a short walk up the road.
By Joe Petroni
The Aviator Hotel kitchen closes at 14:30, which I found out, to my cost, last week! :(
By TLRippon
The Pilots Mess will re-open UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT (mine) from the Easter Weekend 2014 if all goes to plan. 08:30 until 17:00 (Summer) and 08:30 until Sunset (or when everybody wants to go home)- Winter.
By GrahamB
I had to mosey over to Sywell on Saturday to see one or two people about the forthcoming fly-in we are arranging there.

We grabbed ourselves a late lunch at the Pilots Mess, and full marks are due to Lawrence and team for its rejuvenation. Spotlessly clean, a warm welcome, a good set of menu options and Wifi available as well.

With the keenly priced fuel and the museum open at weekends, the airfield is well worth a detour or as a destination in its own right.
By TLRippon
GrahamB wrote:I had to mosey over to Sywell on Saturday to see one or two people about the forthcoming fly-in we are arranging there.

We grabbed ourselves a late lunch at the Pilots Mess, and full marks are due to Lawrence and team for its rejuvenation. Spotlessly clean, a warm welcome, a good set of menu options and Wifi available as well.

With the keenly priced fuel and the museum open at weekends, the airfield is well worth a detour or as a destination in its own right.

Thanks Graham, I'm pleased you liked the place.

We had a few service issues this Friday, we were caught by surprise with a sudden influx and although we have managed to serve hundreds of customers per day at events with staffing accordingly, this exposed a hole in the model, normal day, abnormal number of visitors all arriving within a very compact period of time.

We do of course apologise to those who waited a considerable amount of time for their orders. I have today employed an additional cook and we will staff Fridays in anticipation of a similar situation occurring throughout the summer. I've also made some adjustments to the menu to speed up service in these situations.

I look forward to welcoming you at the Pilots Mess.
By Desert Rat
We flew into Sywell on Sunday and must say we had a brilliant day.
Cars, bikes and some fantastic aircraft displays.
We went and had breakfast in the Pilots Mess and despite it being absolutely heaving with punters being such a busy day, Lawrence and the team did very well to serve an excellent full English which was reasonably priced and extremely tasty.
I'm really looking forward to making Sywell a regular stop.
:thumright:
By skydriller
And there we have it... another GA aerodrome in the UK AIP that requires PPR, by telephone, only during working hours. Classic.
By Paul_Sengupta
I wouldn't particularly trust this bit of information but those who are based there seem to say on a weekend you should just turn up and no one will be any the wiser. Of course I can't say you won't get into trouble for it!
By Flyin'Dutch'
rogerb wrote:Am I correct in thinking that sywell was at one time available for all without ppr in daylight hours who needed self serve fuel?

Correct.

But I was using that 10 years ago, sü for up to date info ring them and ask.

They are a friendly lot.