Group flying opportunities & questions
By George
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member

Shares are available in this long established, friendly group based at Shobdon Airfield.

UPDATE: A limited amount of shares are available at £1500 each, monthlies £90. Wet hourly rate is pretty good seeing how much avgas has gone up.

Well maintained Grumman AA5B Tiger. Very affordable classic (yeah it's from 1979 but still good nick) 4-seat 125kt tourer.

Online booking with excellent availability.

For more information or trial flight PM me!
Last edited by George on Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
By TopCat
Please, please, please sell it to someone that knows how to land it. Last time a Tiger share was advertised on here it was written off at Sandown a few weeks later by someone that (based on where it ended up) clearly didn't.

They are such delightful aeroplanes - and in such short supply - that it's a real shame when some ham-fisted oik busts another one.
GrahamB liked this
By George
DINA is indeed a lovely aircraft, and it's a shame how few of these are around.

You have to choose your approach speed carefully, I go for 70-80 on the approach reducing to 70 over the fence and touchdown just seems to happen after that :wink:

You need to nail the touchdown so you land on the main wheels and hold back - that nose wheel is not strong. A good tip (that I used myself this summer) is that if you bounce on the landing you are going too fast and she will take an age to slow down after that, so best to throw away the landing and go around rather than force pressure onto the nose wheel.

I spent some hours on a C150 that had terrible nose wheel shimmy if you tried to plonk it down too fast and that training certainly helps. But she isn't a difficult aircraft to fly, just a bit more slippery than a PA28 for instance with that narrower body.

Despite the fixed gear and prop she climbs faster than a PA28 or C172 and will cruise at 125kts no problem. So you can go a long way for the money.

I have been asked not to disclose the share price publicly, but I can assure you it is surprisingly well priced.
By George
Another bump for this post. More than one share available now and a choice of share or non-equity scheme as well! This has to be one of the best offers around. Fast aircraft, good 4 up load carrier. Nothing against PA28s or Cessnas of which I have flown a few, but this ticks so many more boxes!
TopCat liked this
By GrahamB
timjenner wrote:Shame I'm not local, I like these a lot. Just to reiterate what others have said, the Tiger really is a lovely aircraft - I flew a club AA5B for several years (until someone took the nosewheel off it...).

Which sort of makes @TopCat ‘s point.

To blow my own trumpet a bit, I’m a Welshpool based CRI with nearly thirty years experience in Grummans. I own a Traveler and used to have a share in a Tiger. I am also the only UK-based Grumman Owners and Pilots Association (GOPA) approved instructor for their Familiarisation Program.

I’m more than happy to help new Grumman pilots get the best from their aeroplanes.
TopCat liked this
By George
We’ve had a few members join the group as a result of advertising this but one older member has recently announced he will be dropping out of the group, so we still have a couple of shares left.

G-DINA is a lovely aircraft and is well maintained with a new refurb of the paintwork just done by Propwash.

PM for details!