Group flying opportunities & questions
Hi,

I am currently looking for a share in a PA28 or Cessna at either White Waltham or High Wycombe or Black Bushe. Could you please let me know if you could help.

I recently passed by skills test and waiting for license. I have around 90 hours (dual and Solo inluding training hours). Currently, there are couple of PA28-140 shares available at White waltham but I would like 160 or higher power models.

Thanks in advance,

Sai Krishna
Genghis the Engineer wrote:The -140 syndicate that I think has shares at Waltham at the moment is also I think a somewhat basic avionics fit.

At WW, the best bet is to go in and look at the notice boards, a lot there doesn't seem to get advertised online.

G

Thanks G, I did look at the 140 a/c at WW and like you mentioned it has basic avionics. I was trained in Warrior II a/c and when I compare it to warrior a/c it looks bit smaller, cramped, less power and ,bizarrely, trim is on the ceiling. I will keep looking for 160's or higher power models.
I actually recently bought a share in a different -140, with a new 150hp engine and a GNS430, and it's actually very nice: the trim in the ceiling just reminds me of my old Stinson, and I can't get worked up about the lack of toe brakes.

But as a model, they're so old that you will see everything from something recently rebuilt and good as new with very modern avionics, to an ancient hack with effectively a VFR panel and asthmatic engine. So I wouldn't say disregard -140s, but you need to look hard at the individual aeroplane.

Waltham is worth persevering with as an airfield 'though, even if you have to wait to find the right share.

G
Danny, Saisworld liked this
Sai,
After I got my licence I looked for a share and a number of 140 opportunities came up at WW. I would advise you to fly one for an hour before you buy one because they are slow, don't take more than 3 adults (at a push) and are generally uninspiring.
The upside is there are cheap shares to be had but I would bet you won't want to fly one for more than a year.
Saisworld, Iceman liked this
MarkOlding wrote:Sai,
After I got my licence I looked for a share and a number of 140 opportunities came up at WW. I would advise you to fly one for an hour before you buy one because they are slow, don't take more than 3 adults (at a push) and are generally uninspiring.
The upside is there are cheap shares to be had but I would bet you won't want to fly one for more than a year.

Thanks Mark, when I did Mass&balance for 140 with 3 adults and it was showing out of the limits so I was skeptical about 140. You mentioned a good point to fly for an hour or so to get a feeling for it. I will definitely keep that in mind to fly before I commit.
All PA28s fly about the same, -140s do it a bit slower and with a bit less payload.

Personally I bought a share in a good IFR -140 having no expectation of regularly carrying anybody in the back seat, and I'm happy about that: albeit I'd rather, say, have a share in an AA5 - but you go with what's available where you want to fly from.

If you want a 4-seat long distance tourer, it's definitely not the right aeroplane for the job.

For 2 people, 300 mile hops, not in a screaming hurry, it's as good as the instrument fit. It is still as docile and dull as all other PA28s as a handling aeroplane. Depending upon role, that's either good or bad.

G