Group flying opportunities & questions
By Beaker
Has anyone got any experiences with the Blackbushe Flying Group (https://www.eglk.co.uk/)?

I haven't seen much feedback for them online, except a few posts down about the Thruxton-based aircraft joining their group. The main things I'd be wondering are what's the availability (especially weekend) like and are the aircraft generally well looked after?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The fleet is about 13 strong at Blackbushe, ranging from Cessna 150s to a Duchess, with PA28s, Arrows, C172s, C182s and Cherokee 6s in between. The aircraft are well maintained and in good condition. A lot of money has been spent by Dan L, the group owner, on respray, interiors and avionics. A number of the aircraft have EFIS panels. Some attractive rates are on offer. Availability is good throughout the week. I fly the group’s Duchess only.

Iceman 8)
Beaker liked this
Hi,

Aircraft are in good condition, all being re-sprayed and new interiors, the nicest you will fly most likely.

That being said your bookings will constantly be changed between aircraft, so If like me you are trying to get comfortable with one aircraft in particular it's not possible and you'll need to be able to chop & change. If you have plenty of hours and experience with different quirks won't be an issue. For me it is rather frustrating.

Cheers
Beaker liked this
Thanks for the feedback. @GAgreg So in terms of chopping and changing aircraft, do you mean regular changing between type as opposed to one specific plane? I'm at fairly low hours right now, so would probably keep mostly to the C150/152 with perhaps occasional use of the C172 where something larger is needed.
Morning,

They operate 4 or 5 Cessna 150s for example, each with their own different quirks etc. Nothing major its a Cessna 150 at the end of the day but when it's a new type and a new airport all little differences just increase the stress levels.

All I'm saying if if you book an aircraft, 7/10 times by the time the booking comes round it will be a different aircraft than the one you booked.

Cheers,
Ah, I see. I see what you mean. I reckon I should be okay with that. When taking my PPL lessons, the flying school had a few aircraft of the same type and it really was pot luck as to which one you'd be in on any given lesson. Likewise, they had subtle differences and I ended up having a favourite which funnily enough changed after I spent a number of consecutive lessons in the same aircraft :lol: But hey, it is what it is...

What's it like flying around Blackbushe with the new Farnborough class D airspace? I had a look at the airport website and from what I see, it looks like when Blackbushe Local Flying Area is activated, it just treated like a standard circuit (albeit at 800ft) at an aerodrome in uncontrolled airspace; just being careful not to end up in the Farnborough class D, right?
GAgreg wrote:Morning,

They operate 4 or 5 Cessna 150s for example, each with their own different quirks etc. Nothing major its a Cessna 150 at the end of the day but when it's a new type and a new airport all little differences just increase the stress levels.

All I'm saying if if you book an aircraft, 7/10 times by the time the booking comes round it will be a different aircraft than the one you booked.

Cheers,

Is that all? Out of curiosity I just looked in my first log book to see how many different aircraft I flew during my PPL course. I am surprised it was 17 different C152/C150 aircraft, with 10 instructors and one examiner. I did not ask for any particular aircraft reg, the Ops team just allocated aircraft/instructor to lesson or solo or test or QXC. I had one main instructor til going solo. I did wonder how they were assessing my consistency later on with so many instructors.

Yes the aircraft are all slightly different. The only one that I found awkward was a very old C150 that was lethargic being heavy and more underpowered and more nose high in the cruise than the others, with gauges in mph instead of knots.

The above is just my experience of multi aircraft flying school/club tactically allocating aircraft as they need to working around bookings, maintenance, annuals,.... so it would not surprise me if other organisations did something similar.

I have no connection with the Blackbushe Flying Group or their actual aircraft.
Yes exactly that, all circuits are to the south , it can be a bit tight I guess as extending the downwind leg isn't really an option & you must remain north of the M3 or you end up in Farnborough's Class D.

Blackbushe & Farnborough seem to have a good working relationship, with transits nearly always available. Blackbushe is a very busy little airport with some interesting movements and a real mix.
Beaker liked this
Hi

I've been a member there since I passed my test. I normally fly the 182's though have checked out on the PA-28R's and the 172. In all my time I've never had a booking changed unless an aircraft went tech or someone emailed me asking if I minded. The booking system is excellent and the software they use for flight logging avoids lots of hassle. I would recommend it to anyone. Ping me a pm if you want more info.