Group flying opportunities & questions
Beaker wrote:I didn't expect to add much more to this thread, but I spoke to an aviation solicitor earlier this week who was extremely helpful. I though I'd post my findings in case it is of some help to others:

The main points he suggested was as follows:

Check the liability indemnity limits. These should not be below £10M on a combined single limit basis. If a policy comes below this level, it should not cost much to bring it up to £10M.

I hope that's of some help to others.

Our group's insurance liability limit was a standard £3m. I upped it to £4m which cost an extra £100 or so. I think taking it to £10m would have nearly doubled the premium.

I know a pilot who did a precautionary landing which resulted in quite serious injuries to his passenger. The passenger's lawyers wanted to take the matter to the US courts (US aircraft or engine or something) where the damages would have been colossal. In the event the passenger settled for damages (and costs, which were considerable) limited to those the pilot's insurance would cover. So it can happen. I keep thinking I must change our group status from a trust to a Ltd company.

Regards

Mike