Group flying opportunities & questions
By FitToFly
Rob P wrote:Just for interest

The Shiny Colt which flew at a steady 80 knots would take about 3 hours 30 minutes for a round trip to Abbeville (those were the days) at about £65 per flying hour it would cost £227.50

The RV6 will do the same trip in 2 hours at economical cruise. Trip cost £130.

Slower isn't more affordable when you are touring, only when hours building.

Rob P

Yep, £/mile.
For me, 120kt is fine, but not if it takes 180 hp and involves an annual inspection at £5000 plus. 160kt on 160 hp and relatively cheap maintenance sounds much better. 150kt on 100hp, even better :D
How about this Bristell NG5 Speedwing?

https://afors.com/aircraftView/39799

If we form a group of 5 people, we'd be looking at a share price of around £19,500 each.

It looks like a lovely plane, 125kt cruise and high spec Garmic avionics including auto pilot.

Hourly wet cost would be around £35/hr, monthlies would be dependent on hangar cost etc, but should be pretty reasonable between 5 of us.

The wing loading is 57, so just under the 60 limit set by the LAA for permit IFR.
Chris-tt liked this
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That aircraft is fairly local to me and is certainly very nice. However, it's been on the market a long time, if indeed it is still on the market (aircraft tend to linger on that website)

There are only two NG4s on the UK register and personally, if going down that route I would prefer an NG5 Bristell.
By Chris-tt
It looks promising, does anyone know about the costs involved with EASA Permit to Fly, as opposed to LAA Permit to fly?

Interesting to see the aircraft was for sale in 2013 for considerably more, hopefully it's lost most of its depreciation now?

There's also a bit more information in the original article:
http://www.aerosales.co.uk/for-sale/lig ... -cgmv_i601

Potentially with a group of 5 it would be £12.5k each, and similarly to the last aircraft posted the cost per hour should be relatively low.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If going for a permit aircraft, I would prefer LAA to EASA which means I could downgrade to medical declaration if and when I clap out....

(Could be imminent.. ..)