Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
By Neil MacG
I know that for some people it is the challenge - of learning aerobatics or more complex aircraft - that keep them taking to the skies.

For me it has always been the "being up there" and with my love of photography I sometimes have special flights when everything comes together in a near magical way. Last evening was one of those. With co-operation of the weather, the aircraft and a friend with me who appreciates viewing the world from the same way and with an equal love of photography I spent a wonderful 90 minutes airborne and visiting one of my favourite areas from the sky. The sea...

Shaftesbury - mid left of centre -is Gold Hill which was the scene of the Hovis adverts for many years.
IMGP0365 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

Nearby is Compton Abbas (unfortunately it closes at 6pm now - we could probably have dropped in but with 5 minutes to spare it didn't seem worth it)
IMGP0368 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

As we approached Poole Harbour we could see sea fog lapping over the edge of the Purbeck Hills. Bournemouth ATC were very accomodating and allowed us a transit inside the edge of their zone over Poole Harbour and along the coast.
IMGP0369 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

Poole Harbour - My first 30 years were spent in Poole, Bournemouth and the surrounding areas. I still enjoy seeing the place be it on the ground or from the air.
IMGP0376 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

Poole Quay - with both its old and new lifting bridges
IMGP0384 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

Poole Bay as we turned along the coast
IMGP0393 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

Not sure how well this will be seen at 800px resolution, but as we tracked along by Bournemouth and Easyjet was departing from 26.
IMGP0401 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

My home town (and where I was a week previous)
IMGP0405 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

Approaching Hengistbury Head with the view towards the Isle of Wight
IMGP0414 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

I love the patterns at the edge of the sea. Seen here the groynes in the sand at Christchurch Harbour
IMGP0420 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

Hurst Castle - our turning point to head back inland
IMGP0424 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

More shapes and patterns - in this case on the marshes near Lymington
IMGP0429 by Neil MacG, on Flickr

We routed back across the New Forest towards Stoney Cross seeing the Police Helicopter below us and a fellow aviator performing a similar but reverse routing (Old Sarum to Old Sarum). I thanked Bournemouth for their help and then followed the route up the Test Valley to Andover before returning to Draycot.

If this was the only flying I could ever do, I don't think I would ever get fedup of it and still feel so privileged I am able to do so.

Edited to add:
For those who are interested.

All photos taken with a Pentax K-01 ILC type camera (no viewfinder but takes Pentax K Bayonet lenses), with a Pentax 35mm F2.4 fixed focal length lens.
Last edited by Neil MacG on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Keef
Fabulous pix, Neil. Thank you for sharing!
By Charles Hunt
Ditto re the pics, but as for being a spot on the ground, I find it the other way around. From the ground I look up through the invisible air and think 'Did I really fly through that bit of space with little more than an internal combustion engine and some bent and/or flattened aluminium for support?'
By Adam Pool
A favourite part of the UK for me having spent a huge amount of my youth hear and in Ringwood!! Great pics.