Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
By caverill
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
https://youtube.com/c/ChrisFlysUK

I started filming my flying a while back to help me improve, having passed my PPL in 2020. Hopefully other novice pilots will find them helpful and I’ll endeavour to explain complex concepts in simple terms, share mistakes and lessons and I ask everyone new or old to aviation to share their thoughts and tips too. Keep it polite please, I’m just learning.
StratoTramp, Milty liked this
By caverill
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Thanks Strato, hopefully it will encourage not scare potential pilots! Couldn't agree more on the need for more people to take up flying. I am going to do a could of videos to demistify learning to fly, make it a bit simpler and call out some of the best flying schools.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think the material is there, but it needs some harsher editing.

Make a slightly less swizzling intro, and cut cut cut. If you look at other videos, they show something, focus on that for a short while and cut to the next 'shot' There are no cuts where nothing happens for 5 seconds or more.

Flying chops?

By tr7v8
TopCat wrote:
> Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
>
> >
> > 1. I found the intro dizzying;
>
> So did I. I stopped watching part way through the intro, as it made me feel slightly
> nauseous.
Me too. Also is your surname Flys? The word is actually flies, sorry but that grated too.
TopCat liked this
By TopCat
I've watched quite a few YouTube videos of people landing PA28s recently.

A large proportion of them, including the one linked to in the OP, cut away to a view other than the one over the nose at the moment of touchdown.

I'm starting to wonder why.
tr7v8, T6Harvard liked this
By Micromouse
as a fellow Youtuber Welcome!!! https://www.whiskeyalphapilot.com - get the plug in!!

Have a look at nick Nimnim and VidIQ for youtube tips. In terms of good aviation youtubers have a look at So Cal flying monkey, and if you join his pateron he has a pile of how to videos - and apart from a being a pilot he is a professional cinematographer.

At the end of the day you either film for yourself and its a glorified holiday snaps/slide show, I am old enough to remember being forced to sit through 16 mm home movies of the last holiday! or you create for your viewers which is a whole new ball game.

But everyone should tell you it is a marathon, not a sprint. The more you put into it the more you will get out of it.

learn to make things interesting, learn to edit, and be prepared to spend hours pruning - I shoot a 45 minute video on 3/4 cameras and managed to get 12 minutes out of it. Most peoples visual attention span is around 5 to 7 seconds so any cut longer than that needs to be really interesting. To have every video you create be better than the last.

Intros are never a great idea as most people should know who you are when they click on the link. Spend more time on your title and thumbnail and hopefully more people will click on the video. Then if the video is interesting to them then they will watch for longer.

At the end of the day try to avoid copying other people and create your own style this means you can break the rules from time to time and it might work but also it might not that's the luck of being a creator.

Don't get obsessed with viewers followers they will come with time just concentrate on creating quality content and aim to publish on a regular basis the YouTube algorithm loves that.

Finally never ever compromise safety. Nothing is ever worth that.

Hope that helps but if you want to have a chat drop me a DM or is it PM. I never understand this modern technology!!

Wayne