Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Edit: Moved some of the better videos to the top so you don't have to hunt through thread.

Latest Video: Longer version of flight to Beccles with Radio chat and some funny radio exchanges towards the end

----

Short Beccles Cut (was a preview):

---

Solo nav - making easy landings difficult for some reason.

Notes on CT2K handling:
https://www.quizaero.co.uk/amp/top-tips ... -design-ct

---

First visit to Kemble.

---

Crosswind Video: Slightly inspired by Kraftwerk... Pretty windy.

---

Video from the flying drought over Xmas!:

---

Solo vid from September:

---

Leicester vid, couldn't get to kemble due to cloud:

---

Short one as audio lost

Edit: Have renamed this thread, and will just upload videos to it as I go. I am organising the channel around some educational stuff (next video on navigation) as well as just shorts. With the aim to get more people interested in flying as ultimately more pilots is good for GA.

There is always a tension on the YouTube format between losing viewers and describing everything to the nth degree (my QNH\QFE is a good example where i haven't specifically gone into transition altitude / transition layer etc). You also have to use some quite Click-Baity titles. I know pilots are a pedantic lot and for very good reason - but personally I think there are enough checks and balances in aviation. Where someone can't just jump into a plane and try things and will get instruction. Also that I know it's hard to believe these days given what we see in the media, but I think most people do have common sense. Though new depths of stupidity are being discovered everyday.

I am hoping that some of the content may help others in some way just by describing things in a different way or by visualisation rather than a static picture in a text book. Anyway...

---------------------------------------

CAP 2163 Video Not technical. More trying to entice new people in and show potential, expand people's views of microlights - Notwithstanding no acrobatics.

Trying to get a bit better each time at editing (and just speaking!). Been bored for the last 3 weeks as grounded for various reasons!

Martin
Last edited by StratoTramp on Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 19 times in total.
By StratoTramp
Bit of footage from GoPro MAX. Really
nice evening on Tuesday. Need to go into the advanced settings and change AWB and tell it not to go mad with the contrast.

This camera shoots in 360⁰ (well almost), I haven't uploaded in 360 - though you can do this, then the viewer can move their phone around to change angle as they are watching. Instead In the mode I have used I have set keyframes and the software will translate between them and output a standard video.

EDIT: Having edited the title, here is my Popham Microlight trade show video. I actually didn't intend to make this into a video. The plan on the day was to collect background video for future videos.

If you fly a microlight see if you can spot yourself (Also, sorry I kind of neglected the flex wings!)
Last edited by StratoTramp on Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By StratoTramp

Deliberate low approach, to get behind tree line and get out of wind - I know this has generated some discussion as some people say it helps, others say like the text book the wind is more turbulent behind the trees. Also, TopCat has also kindly shown me the humorous video AvWeb video about wide circuits, and dragging yourself in on power :lol: I guess it is largely condition and site dependent.

Windsock doesn't look like it but it was gutsing 13-15knts from the port side that day. Was getting pushed around a lot on base/final (they sort of merge at sackville as there is a dogleg to avoid village).

This was actaully the third landing of the the day. I did 'more' normal approaches at Leicester and Fenland. But those lucky sites have more than 1 strip, so crosswind isn't a thing. :lol:

Though it is a really long strip. We try get down by the windsock generally otherwise go around, at the end of the video you can see the ruts that bounce the plane (gap in the hedge). Beyond the windsock where the hedge row ends, another hedge used to run directly across the strip, there is a slight mound here which also bumps you back up into the air if you are not careful. :lol:

-----------------------------------
Last edited by StratoTramp on Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By StratoTramp
Navigation tips video:

Not sure why I can't say Conington on video... Didn't actually realise until I got it on the computer.
Also - Keep saying deviation rather than declination, but hopefully helpful to some!
By StratoTramp
Definetly not. I edited the first post to say. I think there are enough checks and balances though and humanity is underrated :lol:

I don't think I would have started having not seen videos like The Micropilot and Ben Atkinson though.
By Milty
@StratoTramp

Great videos. We’ll done on the solo and the video editing.

Just picking up on another current thread re seatbelt adjustment… is that the ‘correct’ position for the straps on your aircraft? I’m not being a d1ck, I’m genuinely curious. I’m very new to all this and interested to see if your setup is correct or poorly adjusted. Thanks.
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
Milty wrote:@StratoTramp

Great videos. We’ll done on the solo and the video editing.

Just picking up on another current thread re seatbelt adjustment… is that the ‘correct’ position for the straps on your aircraft? I’m not being a d1ck, I’m genuinely curious. I’m very new to all this and interested to see if your setup is correct or poorly adjusted. Thanks.

Ray just pointed me to the same thing, thanks for your concern though :thumleft: I would go with poorly adjusted. :oops: I'll take some time next time at the plane and see if I can get a copy of the manual somewhere.

The shoulders and sides are one piece. I
reckon repeated cinching of shoulders over repeated flights means you end up with tiny short shoulder straps.
Milty liked this
By StratoTramp

Few planes / Heli's from the otherside of Dunkeswell. I couldn't se the reg or identify the big Helicopter at 1:33.

0:00 - G-TREE - Bell Helicopter 206B (1979)
0:32 - G-SVAN - CESSNA 208B (2002)
1:00 - G-OCPC - REIMS CESSNA FA152 (1978)
1:11 - G-CEPX - CESSNA 152 (1983)
1:22 - G-CBOS - RANS S6-ES (2002)
1:33 - ???? Augusta A109 (thanks skydriller)
1:44 - G-BUTH - JODEL CEA DR220 (1966)

Working on one about aborted Kemble trip due to IMC, got north of Brize Norton.
Last edited by StratoTramp on Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
By StratoTramp

Not instructional (that's what we have instructors for) just general interest.
Sometimes when I play it back realise could do with a few extra words there .... :?

"Ease off the stick" well maybe not entirely, perhaps just the back pressure :lol:

Not one of my best videos (lost a load of footage), lost the cockpit audio, also Carp landing at end! In summary... watch it. :wink:
100poundburger liked this
By StratoTramp
@100poundburger lol :lol: without making it sound weird I thought I ate you at Leicester...

No it still sounded weird...