Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
By Micromouse
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've avoided in flight videos on actual lessons as I don't want to get caught up with the I'm not an instructor, or you shouldn't have a camera brigade, or people commenting on my instructor out of context, so the inflight videos have come from my solo flights, and a couple of pleasure flights. With lessons I have also found the 10 mins it takes to set up camera eats into the prep of lesson time.

Steep turns for me came down to nose position, its much higher than I expected. So I used the corner of the cowling on the horizon (I fly a PA28), a little more power and much more pull back... then it all seems to lock together and around I go. Then just remember to drop out of the turn at the correct point.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Thanks, that all makes sense.

My problem was not applying enough back pressure at first :roll: . Also finding the 30° AoB point to apply more power. I'll do much better now I've flown a lot more and can divide my attention and feel what the ac is doing!
By Micromouse
I put the power on as I enter the turn, and I aim for closer to 60 degrees, as if it drops you are still in the 60-45 degrees range the examiners want.

Wayne
By Micromouse
Skills Test Number 2. Did I pass this time? and Why did I need a broom?

By Micromouse
Thanks. Its been a journey. But I could not have done it without everyone support!!!
T6Harvard liked this
By Micromouse
Low cloud everywhere, so I have some fun in the school DA42 simulator

By Micromouse
Another major milestone for me... my first flight as a licenced pilot - now the learning begins.

T6Harvard liked this
By JAFO
You're a licensed pilot, you have a licence.

Congratulations, though, apart from the hi-vis over a fleece and the lack of a shoulder strap. Maybe things to consider.
By TopCat
Not wearing a shoulder strap when you're on your own at least risks only yourself.

The correct way to wear the hi-vis jacket is under the fleece, obviously, so as not to offend the pilot fraternity.

Slightly worse even than that, though, IMHO, is the muck all over the windscreen. Seriously, man. Clean it off as part of the pre-flight :thumleft:

Oh, and don't edit out the moment of touchdown. Warts and all, or nothing at all :wink:
By JAFO
TopCat wrote:Not wearing a shoulder strap when you're on your own at least risks only yourself.

The correct way to wear the hi-vis jacket is under the fleece, obviously, so as not to offend the pilot fraternity.

It is only @Micromouse who is at risk but he is, perhaps, at risk of coming over all unnecessarily dead for the want of a shoulder strap.

The correct way to wear the hi-vis is not at all once inside the aircraft. I would venture that the same is true, for the same reasons, when it comes to the fleece. The risk is, admittedly, very low but for precisely no effort at all, you can eliminate the risk of your clothing melting onto your body in the case of a fire.
By Micromouse
Interesting more people picked up on the Hi viz, than my flying :-)

Shoulder straps are interesting. I should wear them more, but I confess I don't as I have found them uncomfortable being slightly larger. I am loosing weight before anyone comments, but the shoulder strap is restrictive. Yes I agree being dead is more restrictive so I will wear one.

Hi Viz in the aircraft. Yup as I said I normally take them off together with the fleece as I find it more comfortable to fly in a T-Shirt, I looked at the various google comments regarding is cotton fireproof and should I fly with covered arms, but there is only so much I can do. Full nomex in a PA28 is a little OTT.

cleaning the windshield. I agree and I will give it a wipe next time.

I'm back in an aircraft this week with an instructor to have a play with grass landings, something that I lack in experience.

Wayne
JAFO liked this
By T6Harvard
I enjoyed the video, @Micromouse .
So you were nervous but you did it. You made the decisions, it worked out well, and that's another step on the road. Next time will be easier.

Please do wear the seatbelt and clean the windscreen. I'm overweight but the straps are never uncomfortable. I totally forget about them once they are fastened.
Mind you, last week I was in a C150 Aerobat and it has a 4-point harness. The consequence was that my short arms struggled to reach down to check the fuel was still on because both shoulders were pinned to the back of the seat :lol: :roll: I persevered and on the second attempt I performed what my old Nan would have called 'a boarding house reach' and managed to touch the fuel selector.

It's all learning :mrgreen:

Give me a shout when you come up to Tatenhill!
StratoTramp liked this
By Micromouse
I looked at trying to get into a 152 with our smallest instructor. The W&B said we might be able to do a circuit if we were lucky :-)
T6Harvard liked this