Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
By Micromouse
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:I just wish you'd spelled 'whisky' correctly on Day One.

Rob P

I did. I have Irish parentage hence the spelling.

Wayne
Rob P liked this
By Micromouse
And my latest...

This time its the build up to my Solo Cross country with a solo flight from Elstree to Leicester.

archerflyer, Milty liked this
By Micromouse
A short one this week - Student Instrument flying

By Micromouse
Another one of my annoying :-) flight vlogs on my journey learning to fly. I'd like to thank everyone who has taken the time to comment or sent me PMs with encouragement and advice, too many groups look down on newbies, but the aviation community has been nothing but helpful. Thank you!!

By Micromouse
A big one for me. Things seem to get a little more real with my Mock Skills Test for my PPL(A).
By T6Harvard
Hi @Micromouse , that was intense, 3 hours of pressure :pale:

You have made great progress, doesn't seem long since your were circuit bashing! Would you mind being more explicit on what areas you have to brush up on*? I'm trying to glean as much as possible from fellow students' experiences :D

* ahh, thinking aloud I realise you might want to save that till after you pass so let's change the question around...

What did you enjoy / feel you performed really well?
Micromouse liked this
By Micromouse
Give me a few days and I will come up with something. As some have guessed I'm a little further ahead in my training that the videos indicate, but its always useful to answer such questions at the time when things are still reasonable fresh in my head.
By Micromouse
Still progressing with my ongoing quest to learn to fly in the UK, with a couple of hiccups - Its not all progress progress progress.

For many trainees the FRTOL (Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence) practical exam always seems to be a bit of a last minute thing to do even just a tick box exercise, after all we all talk on the radio during training, but its more serious than that as I found to my cost.

Learn from my mistakes!!!

#learningtofly #ppl #frtolexam
By TopCat
Micromouse wrote:Still progressing with my ongoing quest to learn to fly in the UK, with a couple of hiccups - Its not all progress progress progress.

For many trainees the FRTOL (Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence) practical exam always seems to be a bit of a last minute thing to do even just a tick box exercise, after all we all talk on the radio during training, but its more serious than that as I found to my cost.

Learn from my mistakes!!!

Kudos for posting that... couldn't have been easy. :thumright:

Well done on pulling the plug the way you did.

But what was the problem? What was it you couldn't do that made you decide to knock it on the head?
By JAFO
Well done for posting that, @Micromouse

I wonder when a flying instructor became a flight instructor and a flying school became a flight school? In no way a criticism of you, just something that occurred to me while listening to your video.
Micromouse liked this
By Micromouse
JAFO wrote:Well done for posting that, @Micromouse

I wonder when a flying instructor became a flight instructor and a flying school became a flight school? In no way a criticism of you, just something that occurred to me while listening to your video.

I think for me its just semantics. I know there are differences, but for me flight instructor/flying instructor = bod next to me teaching me to fly, and flying school/flight school is the place I pay lots of money to.

Wayne
T6Harvard liked this
By Micromouse
TopCat wrote:Kudos for posting that... couldn't have been easy. :thumright:

Well done on pulling the plug the way you did.

But what was the problem? What was it you couldn't do that made you decide to knock it on the head?

I promised myself if I was going to post these videos I would be honest and post the ups AND the downs. I've learnt from others posting similar, and people have thanked me for posting - too many people can think its all easy just based on the videos they see.

I think it was a bit of nerves, and the bit that hit me was position reports. I've used PRs during training, but my mind completely blanked when I was told I might have to give a position report - without thinking it through. RT was never my strong point and this took me beyond my comfort zone. Of course now it's easy to think about, but at that moment my mind went ARRRRRRR!!!!

W
JAFO, T6Harvard, Milty liked this
By Irv Lee
Micromouse wrote: For many trainees the FRTOL (Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence) practical exam always seems to be a bit of a last minute thing to do even just a tick box exercise,

I always wonder why schools make learning nav more difficult for students by not strongly encouraging them to do the radio practical before they get there. I am polling now tor my next zoom radio/airspace course, including a moving map demo at the end but it won't be for a couple of weeks so maybe outside your time range.
T6Harvard liked this