Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
Hi all

Thought you might like to see the craziness in and around Compton Abbas on the glorious day we had just before the latest lockdown.

First time posting one of my very amateurish videos on here so please be gentle! :lol:

It's a 360° video so to look around you can either move your device, or swipe the screen or drag the mouse pointer.

Hope you enjoy it. See you in the skies again soon.

Richard
UncleT, Rob P, Iceman and 2 others liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Nice one.

Wish I understood the technique that enables these 360 vids; rather nice.

A filter to blur the prop would be good.

It's the GoPro software which does all the wizardry. It's essentially two fisheye lenses back-to-back recording their own video on their own SD card, which is then stitched together to make the video. My PC really groans when rendering it - takes forever.

The filter is a great idea. I'll investigate an ND filter which can cover the lens without appearing in the shot. :thumleft:
Flyin'Dutch', Iceman liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Cheers, appreciate that explanation. Thought it was some super smart camera with gkw-technology. Amazing that with the two fish-eye lenses the picture can be that good.

The picture quality can actually get much better if I render it in 5k but the files sizes are simply too big for my poor 7 year-old MacBook to handle - it creeks and groans under the strain, so I have to render in 4k, but that's spread across the 360 view so a little bit fuzzy in places.

Kemble Pitts wrote:Thanks. I really like the 360 effect.

:thumleft:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Charles Hunt wrote:Sorry, I loathed the 360 deg effect. Too much for my poor brain to make sense of.

I suspect your device wasn't displaying the video properly. You shouldn't be able to see the entire 360 image in one go - the video should look like a normal video but with the facility to look around by moving your device or mouse pointer. My Android tablet won't play it properly for some reason (shows the entire 360 image), by my iPad does. :?

cockney steve wrote:First time I've actually tried the 360* effect, that's really amazing! Using the mouse as your "head" able to look all round,up, down. Almost like being there! thanks for posting! :thumleft:

Thanks Steve. It is pretty amazing isn't it. Was extremely useful when I recorded all my lessons. An absolutely invaluable revision aide.
Charles Hunt wrote:Oops, apologies, my computer incompetence strikes again!

That worked properly on the new laptop, excellent, what a fabulous day for the flight.

Thanks and apologies again.

No apology necessary. The technology is far from being implemented well, and may never be. It might go the way of 3D glasses at the cinema!

AndyR wrote:Similarly, the 360 effect doesn’t seem to work on my iPad or my laptop. Looks like it should be a good video if I had modern enough kit to view it :thumleft:

Yep, one of my friends has said the same thing, although it works on his smart TV!! Nuts.

Miscellaneous wrote:Nice video. :thumright:

Personally I'm not (yet) sold on the 360 video. For me the fiddling detracts from watching the video. Some perseverance requried. There are of course benefits.

And then there's the technology compatibility.

Fair comment. :) Surprised Firefox didn't display it correctly though.