Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
By JAFO
Something a little different in my Flying Over Suffolk series of videos.

Unfortunately, there were a few problems recording sound yesterday so parts of the video have a look of those badly dubbed spaghetti westerns but, apart from that, here is a look at what remains of the Battle of Britain fighter station at Martlesham Heath in Suffolk.

On 17th September 1940, Adolf Hitler was forced to indefinitely postpone his plans for Operation Sealion - the invasion of Britain. Exactly 80 years later, I took a quick flight over Martlesham Heath where Hawker Hurricanes had been stationed on that day and from where young pilots had scrambled to fight the Nazi foe.

T6Harvard, Aerials, GunnyD3v and 3 others liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That's excellent! Far higher production quality than usual. Thank you - Have often intended to visit to reflect my own A&AEE connection (albeit with the result of the move West.)

MH was I think the closest RAF base to Germany at the start of the war.
By JAFO
I'm really pleased that you all enjoyed it. Thank you for your really nice comments. I only really started trying to put videos together a little over a month ago and I'm still learning but it's great fun and adds a little something to my flying.

@Dave W, there's a museum in the old control tower which is worth a visit (not sure how they're coping with COVID as it's not huge).
Dave W liked this
By Rob P
And a pub named for Douglas Bader (from 15 years ago memory, not really worth a visit)

This is a tad ironic since Bader was near teetotal.

Rob P

Add "legless" jokes below.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I opened the thread expecting it to be a Happy Anniversary to something completely different. Even I am amused by the irony between what I thought it was going to be about and what it is about. I had better say no more and just watch the video!