Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
By JAFO
@Miscellaneous - hijack away, it's a beautiful video.

You're almost right, I was at Kinloss.

Many people are curious as to what I do these days in exchange for avgas vouchers, me included. We'll perhaps save that discussion for when we meet up.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
very enjoyable, thanks JAFO!. I particularly like the mix of aerial and ground pics. History is always fascinating, but this a part of the UK I know very little about so it's even better!
Keep up the good work.

PS, I got to sit in a Nimrod cockpit at Woodford Aviation museum in Cheshire, on the old Avro site. There's a Vulcan too, and a VC10. The volunteers have Served, or been commercial pilots, and share a wealth of knowledge. I could spend days there listening to the tech details and tales of working on and around the ac.
JAFO liked this
By PeteSpencer
Fascinating: particularly the last five minutes as the Arrow group I fly in today is named the Fersfield Flying Group (FFG) as it originated in the 1960s (before my time).at Fersfield disused(a small wartime satellite of RAF Knettishall -USAAF Station 136)

Fersfield was returned to agriculture in the late 60s and our group relocated to Knettishall in 1970, but kept the original name. The FFG still flies from Knettishall.

Kennedy was killed in August 1944 but by November 1944 the singularly unsuccessful Operation Aphrodite was moved to Knettishall remaining under the aegis of the 388th BG (560sqdn) but only four more missions took place, the whole project being abandoned by April 1945 as it was clear the war was almost over.

I love your style and historical knowledge JAFO: keep them coming.

Peter :thumleft:
JAFO, T6Harvard liked this
By rusty eagle
I really enjoyed the Dunwich one Jafo. I moved to Suffolk last year and I am fascinated by the Anglo Saxon history in this area, especially as I’m only about 5 miles away from Sutton Hoo. So your comments about Dunwich/Dommoc were very interesting. And for anyone interested in Anglo Saxon Rendlesham, just down the coast from Dunwich, there's a great series of online talks running now from Suffolk Archaeological Service: https://heritage.suffolk.gov.uk/rendles ... the-scenes
JAFO liked this
By JAFO
Thanks for that @rusty eagle. I hadn't seen those online talks but I'll have a look at them now. I think I'll definitely do a Rendlesham video at some point as well as a Sutton Hoo one. I remember Sutton Hoo before they developed the museum and, fantastic as it is, the place was very atmospheric when you had seemingly stumbled across it.

Have you been up to the Anglo Saxon village north of Bury At Edmunds? It's a while since I've been but it was a fascinating place.
By rusty eagle
No, not been to the village at Bury St E. yet, but may hold until the spring of next year. I first went to Sutton Hoo about twenty years ago and there's some people think it should have been left undeveloped. I think they now have it about right, but some improvements will follow. The burial mounds do have an atmosphere especially on a misty morning. And the story of what led to Basil Brown's excavation of mound 1 following Edith Pretty's vision is an interesting one!
By JAFO
@rusty eagle - West Stow Anglo Saxon Village was the name I was trying to remember - poor old bugger, his memory's going now. I must take a trip back there.

I learned the story of Mrs Pretty's vision from my children as they were taught it at primary school, fascinating stuff. When they were quite tiny I made them trudge across fields to find the burial mounds.

I always hoped that archaeologists would locate the palace at Rendlesham (actually, the bit of me that still wants to be Indiana Jones hoped I'd find it) and I see from your link that they have, fantastic. I'm looking forward to all of the talks, there's another one scheduled for this morning. Thank you for the link.
By JAFO
T6Harvard wrote:Oh JAFO, that's made my day! Brilliant. Thanks!!

I'm not sure what that says about the kind of day you were having but I'm really pleased you liked it.
By T6Harvard
Well tbh the bar was set pretty low on Friday :lol:

Today's a better day chez T6 and Airquiz is awarding me decent marks in 4 subjects 8)
And.... the Catalina rescue is going well.
JAFO liked this