Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
Charles Hunt wrote:Great video. Thanks

Control column looked very lively - is this normal for Gyros?

Indeed; I thoroughly enjoyed the video - lots to learn for me (as an ex-spam can driver), and the video was very well put together, informative and entertaining. JAAMOI, what would be the downside of letting the main rotor spin up to more than the 200rpm (IIRC)?

Whilst I love the thought of most forms of aviating, gyros look far to scary for me...

Love the shape of the helmet too :thumleft:
FlyboyStu liked this
By FlyboyStu
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member

Didn't like the look of those fluctuating airspeeds through the pass!!

Thank you Charles :D

I frequently get asked about stick vibration. It is normal for gyros; but some are better than others; mine's about average. It's basically a function of how well your rotors are balanced. It looks worse than it is; because you grasp the stick quite lightly, the vibrations don't travel up your arm. I'm hardly aware of it nowadays.

As for the airspeed fluctuation, yes it was all over the place up the Llanberis pass as the wind swirled around me; but it's far less of an issue in a gyrocopter than a fixed wing. Gyros cannot stall, so if the speed gets too low all that happens is that you'll start to descend, which you can prevent by adding power.
By FlyboyStu
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:

Indeed; I thoroughly enjoyed the video - lots to learn for me (as an ex-spam can driver), and the video was very well put together, informative and entertaining. JAAMOI, what would be the downside of letting the main rotor spin up to more than the 200rpm (IIRC)?

Whilst I love the thought of most forms of aviating, gyros look far to scary for me...

Love the shape of the helmet too :thumleft:

Thank you CP :D

You can pre-rotate up to 270 rpm on my MT-03; faster still on later models. On the upside this delivers a shorter take-off roll; on the downside it causes more wear on the pre-rotator system. I only go to 270 rpm when I want to get airborne very quickly; there are some videos on my channel of me going in and out of Oldfield Farm, which is literally a farmer's field; to minimise the time spent rolling along the bumpy surface on take-off I used maximum pre-rotation.

I've been a fixed wing PPL for 15 years (currently fly a Cessna 182 out of Liverpool), and thought the same about gyros - until I had a go. Hooked within the first 30 seconds; they are simply brilliant fun to fly, and the view is unbeatable.

I do get a few comments about the Darth Vader outfit 8)
Colonel Panic liked this