Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
It is fun :D

I'm also a PPL(A) with a share in a C182 which is a great go-places machine. But modern gyros are just such superb fun to fly;I was hooked after a 20-minute trial flight. They're also less susceptible to turbulence due to the high rotor loading and can be flown in and out of very short fields, which opens up more flying opportunities.

As MM says, they do need their own licence, a national PPL(G), but there's only one written exam for a fixed wing PPL holder as you gain exemption from the rest.

Stu
Iceman wrote:So what is the minimum hours required for a PPL(G) if you have a PPL(A) ? Same question for PPL(H) ?

I take it that they cannot hover to land or takeoff but rely on a certain amount of forward speed ?

Iceman 8)

I don't recall how much dispensation you get for having a PPL(A), but it's less than you think it will be and there's a good reason for it. If you look at the syllabus it is going to take you most of the minimum hours to cover it no matter how good you are. This is particularity true for helis. None of your A experience is going to help with sloping ground, flying backwards, autorotations etc etc - in fact A experience will be a hindrance and you'll need to un-learn stuff. :D

There are no UK certified gyros that can do vertical take-off or landing - yet. You can fly with zero airspeed and also land with no ground run.

EDIT: PPL(A) gets 10 hrs dispensation from the 40 hour PPL(G) course.