A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By Jon Mercer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bavo is a portmanteau consisting of Bacon, Avacado and Mayonnaise. It's a pretty good club sandwich too.

Two slices of toasted white bread on the outside encase two middle filling layers, one of bacon, the other of sliced avacado, which are separated by a slice of toasted brown, wholemeal or granary bread. Generous mayo 'mortar' on all internal bread surfaces holds the lot together.

So:

- toasted white bread
- mayonnaise
- bacon
- mayonaise
- toasted brown bread
- mayonaise
- sliced avacado
- mayonaise
- toasted white bread

Serve with a crisp white wine and follow up with a trip to the local cardiac unit.
By The Other Ian
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Sounds like it could do with some chicken.

I agree. I'd go:

- toasted white bread
- mayonnaise
- bacon
- sliced avocado
- mayonnaise
- toasted white bread
- mayonnaise
- chicken
- sliced avacado
- mayonnaise
- toasted white bread

Wouldn't bother with the brown bread in the middle, just stick with the white stuff although we tend to have the 50/50 ones in our house - seems to make better toast.

(Is it time for another "what's you favourite sandwich" thread? I haven't seen one for a while.)
Last edited by The Other Ian on Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jon Mercer
All this chicken sounds a bit healthy. I have to say the ideal time for a bavo is after waking up with a hangover, at which point chicken is seldom top of my list. It's just so darned healthy too...
By Flyingfemme
Sounds lovely, except for the avocado (can't stand the stuff). Can I swap that for some nice tomato slices?
By Jon Mercer
Flyingfemme wrote:Sounds lovely, except for the avocado (can't stand the stuff). Can I swap that for some nice tomato slices?

Or you could try portobello mushrooms instead.

Of course you'd have to find a new name, too.
By Flyingfemme
Sounds like a bamabello to me :lol:
By Jon Mercer
Flyingfemme wrote:Sounds like a bamabello to me :lol:

Awesome! :thumleft: