A place for gourmet aviators. Musicians are also welcome.

Moderator: Dave W

By AerBabe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Last night, a simple one:

Stuffed with the rest of the sausagemeat and lots of fresh ground black pepper on top.
Baked in the oven until a nice crust had developed on the sausagemeat, then some Stilton crumbled on top and back in the oven to melt.
Served with steamed baby corn and sprouting broccoli, with EVOO, S&P.

How is the liver coming along?
By AerBabe
AerBabe wrote:Another stuffed mushroom recipe tonight, filled with a mixture of:

Crab meat;
Prawns;
Lime juice;
Splash of fish sauce;
Crushed garlic;
Crushed fresh ginger;
Sprinkle of chilli flakes;
S&P.

Again, the mushrooms really needed the saltiness of the fish sauce ... and it probably needed a little more lime. But the flavour combination worked really well. This is one I'll definitely be trying again. Perhaps with zest and juice of a fresh lime next time.

Tried this tonight - zest and juice of half a lime between four mushrooms. The recipe is now perfect. :thumleft:
By AerBabe
Well, February was a success for me, but no so much for you, I don't think.

What shall I do for March?! I'm sure we had some ideas that we decided to postpone, but I can't remember any of them now. :D
By Jon Mercer
AerBabe wrote:Well, February was a success for me, but no so much for you, I don't think.

I managed two recipes, neither of which progressed to the cooking stage. Not a good start...
By AerBabe
How does that work?!
By AerBabe
March has been 'n' gone, and I failed to keep this thread updated with experiments... However, I was still continuing the project.
I now have perfected baked potatoes, just the way I like them. Crunchy skin, fluffy inside.

Pick yer tater - the classic King Edwards work well, as do Maris Pipers.
Wash it thoroughly and give it plenty of time to dry.
Prick the skin with a fork.
Rub all over with good quality olive oil (or any other oil, but I like the flavour of olive) & some salt. Not too much salt though!
Put in the preheated oven at 200 for around 1.5 hours ... depending on the size of yer tater.
Half way through cooking, turn the tater over.

When finished, split open and eat with nothing more than a lump of good quality butter.
By AerBabe
April is 'garlic month'. Vampires, be gone!

My biggest success so far is connected to March.

Take a baking potato, prepare as before [King Edwards or Maris Pipers; Wash it thoroughly and give it plenty of time to dry; Prick the skin with a fork.]
Carefully cut slices around 5 mm thick BUT don't cut all the way through.
Rub in olive oil, salt & pepper, making sure it goes in the gaps too.
Thinly slice longways along a clove of garlic.
Push the slices of garlic in the gaps between the slices of potato.
Put in the preheated oven at 200 for around 1.5 hours ... depending on the size of yer tater.

By Flyingfemme
Sounds lovely but takes far too long!
By Jon Mercer
Flyingfemme wrote:Sounds lovely but takes far too long!

Surely 10 minutes prep then waiting an hour and a half isn't too bad? Unless you really are in the habit of eating dinner half an hour after getting in from work, in which case I want to know how you plan it so well!